Chapter 37 - Eirik

The drive back into Michigan didn't take that long at all. In under five hours, we were in Rochester Hills and knocking on their door. Aunt Margaret answered the door and welcomed us.

She gave Einar and me great big hugs. In the family room, Uncle Anders got up to hug us all as well. Grandma and grandpa were there but didn't get up. Grandma was holding their new puppy. He was such a cute doggie, but I wasn't sure what his bread was.

"How'd your team do?" Uncle Anders asked me.

"We swept the tournament," I said.

"Awesome, and how many points did you get?" he asked.

"Three goals and one assist."

"That's wonderful," Aunt Margaret said.

The boys were upstairs and they let us go up to play games. Letting the noise guide us, we found the right room. I gave Mats and Bo a knuckle-bump. Bo gave Einar a hug and welcomed him. There were two beds in here and I wondered what the sleeping situation would be.

They have four bedrooms up here, just like our house. Our grandparents were using one of them and we assumed mom was using the other. I watched them playing on the new Xbox and was jealous.

When their game ended, Bo handed me his controller and went to sit with Einar on one bed. Mats offered, but Einar passed on playing. I heard the whispering as Mats and I switched between playing several games.

Uncle Anders ordered Thai food for dinner. It was my first time, but I loved it. Mom never made spicy food, but I loved the spiciest dish there. I was told it's called drunken noodles. I had over two large plates filled with it and even added more crushed red pepper.

Stuffed and sluggish, we made our way upstairs. I figured the sleeping arrangements out when Mats went into the fourth room, which I discovered was his. I just assumed with two beds in here, they shared the room. Einar and Bo played video games together while I laid on the empty bed, hoping for my stomach to calm down.

I fell asleep wearing my clothes. When I woke, sweat soaked my shirt. I looked over and saw Einar and Bo sleeping in the other bed. They were laying back to back.

As I lay there, covered in sweat, I realized we left our suitcases in the car. I pulled off my shirt and pants and got under the sheets. It took me some time to fall asleep again. I ended up going into the bathroom and dipped my head under the faucet to drink water. My mouth had been dry and now I fell asleep quicker.

The next day, mom made us stay downstairs and spend time with everyone. We watched tv all day. I laid on the ground and played with the puppy. He was so cute.

"What breed is he?" I asked grandma.

"He's a giant schnauzer," mom said.

"Did you name him yet, grandma?" Einar asked.

"His name is Scruffy," she said.

"He doesn't look that scruffy," Bo said.

"He will," mom said again.

The last day of the year seemed to take forever, even playing with Scruffy. After dinner, Uncle Anders pulled out two bottles. One was champagne and the second was fake champagne for us kids. We would have to stay awake until midnight if we wanted some.

Then he handed out more presents to everyone. He handed one small box to me. It's for both Einar and me. Then he passed out grandma and grandpa's gifts to Mats and Bo along with another single small one for both of them together.

We let them open their sweaters from our grandparents first. Then they wanted us to all open the two small ones together. I opened it and found a dog collar and leash. I showed Einar the chain with Scruffy written on it.

"Are you kidding?" I asked.

"No," mom said.

I ran and hugged her. I don't know how, but they brought in another puppy from the basement for Mats and Bo. There's was a golden retriever.

I hugged mom, and Einar was holding the dog in a tight hug and crying. Mom got up and hugged Einar as well. Bo and Mats were petting and playing around with their dog as well.

Einar and I leaned against each other against the door wall and held Scruffy together. At some point, I fell asleep against his shoulder and woke up to the sound of cheering. It's official, the new year was here.

Uncle Anders poured everyone something to drink and made a toast. He wished us all a great beginning to the new year. He also mentioned Einar's difficulties and hopes for the family to remain close and supportive of everyone.

Sipping from the cup, I found ours was grape juice. Dad's parents always gave us a small sip of wine, but mom's side never offered. Everyone but mom went off to bed. That's when I discovered she was sleeping down on the couch.

Falling asleep as soon as I hit the bed, it felt like no time at all when mom was waking us up to leave. She wanted to be home around noon. As soon as we were in the car with Scruffy in the back with us, I fell asleep.

Mom woke me up when we crossed the Mackinac Bridge. I couldn't believe I slept for three and a half hours. Driving across, it felt like we were swaying on the bridge. I wasn't sure if that was true, but I wished she let me sleep for it.

Einar was sitting next to me with Scruffy on the bench between us. When we finally made it across, we stopped for some food and to let Scruffy out. They were still serving breakfast, and I wanted a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit.

From there, it was another three hours. Mom offered to let us both drive for half that time. Even though we already had our hours in for the next segment of training, we both took her up on the offer. I drove the first hour and a half.

I stopped while passing the Seney National Wildlife Refuge. The Upper Peninsula was such a beautiful area. Sometimes I wished we had better Wi-Fi throughout, but it's good enough in Marquette. The University is working to help many people across the upper peninsula get the internet.

After letting Scruffy out again, which he decided to just run around, Einar hopped in the driver's seat. His half of the journey home turned out to take longer than mine. Once near home, traffic picked up.

As beautiful as all the land across the U.P. is, I couldn't live outside a big city. I love having everything we need here. At home, mom took Scruffy inside and made us clean the car out.

Throwing everything in the laundry room, Einar asked to borrow another of my shirts to stay over at Charlie's. He was worried about spending time with his parents and making a good impression. Nodding, he picked out a pink and purple striped, short sleeve button-up shirt.

Mom bought it for me long ago, but I never wore it worrying dad wouldn't like it. After seeing Einar wearing it, I went through my closet to see if there were other shirts I've never worn on account of dad. I found another purple and white one and put that on.

Mom yelled for me to come downstairs so we could take Einar over to Charlie's. She still didn't trust us at home alone like she used to. Einar wanted to bring Scruffy with us so Charlie could meet him. Mom agreed, figuring it would be better not leaving a puppy here to cause mischief alone.

On the ride there, Einar was fidgeting next to me. I could tell he was nervous, but I knew he would be fine. I met Mrs. Jameson, and she was nice.

"You'll be fine," I said to him. He only nodded.

I looked over at Einar's face. He was still fidgeting. I studied his features and thought about losing him. My chest filled with dread at the thought.

Being identical twins, I feel like we're inextricably connected. Years ago, I searched online for what it was like for one identical twin to lose the other. It seems like there couldn't be any worse pain. It's like he and I share souls.

Sometimes, I'm awash with feelings of intense dread. I'm old enough now to know that someday, one of us will die before the other. Maybe it's selfish, but I hope I'm first.

He's suffered so much, but I can't imagine a world without him in it. Only then did I realize he was looking back at me. I looked down and away, ashamed at my thoughts.

Once there, he dragged Charlie out to see Scruffy. We let him out to run around for a minute before we left.