Chapter 30 - Einar

As soon as I arrived at the arena, I stood around and wondered when he would arrive. I saw Noah and his dad come in, but not Liz. Maybe she was staying home to study. Then he was climbing out of a car in the drop-off area and came in.

He walked right up to me. "Hey buddy. How are you?"

I stood in front of him nervously. I've never been alone with him. "Good. How about yourself?"

"I'm excited to see my first hockey game," he said.

"Do you want to go in and sit down?" I asked him.

He shook his head no. "Why don't you show me around."

We went to the arcade area. After a few games, the siren went off that signaled the end of the game before Eirik's.

"Games starting soon," I said.

"Cool, let's go watch some," he said.

Sitting at the top of the bleachers, Charlie asked, "so, why did you quit playing?"

"My dad," I said.

"I meant what I said. Your poem was really brave." Looking in his eyes, I could see in his eyes that he meant it. That he cared. For the first time, I wanted to tell him everything. So, I did.

His hand touched my arm. It felt like electricity. "I care about you and no one will hurt you ever again while I'm around."

Once the players began warming up, he spoke again. "I need to use the bathroom. Will you show me where they are?"

I agreed, and we walked down the bleachers. The game was beginning, so no one paid us any attention. We left the arena and turned right. Walking to the back doors, I pointed out the men's room.

Once done, he looked out the doors leading outside and said we should go walk around the building. It's snowing, so I hesitated. He grabbed my hand and pulled me with him.

His hand was so soft in mine. I rubbed a finger against the side of his hand. "What's behind the building?" he asked.

I became self-conscious. I realized what I was doing to his hand. "More parking and the dumpsters."

Behind the building, there was a large parking lot, and trees spread out for quite some distance. To the right was the parking lot's exit onto the side road by the water. He guided me that way and I worried. I'm afraid of the dark.

The only light came from the arena and the parking lot. We made our way out to the road. I wondered why he was bringing me back here. Did he want to hurt me?

We crossed the road and made it to the small beach. I looked around, not seeing anyone out here this late. Water was still coming up onto the sand. Snow whipped around by the wind coming off the water. Occasionally, cars crossed the road behind us, making me feel exposed and nervous. I wanted to go back.

He led me to some trees that hid the road. It really was beautiful out here. Standing in the shadow of the trees made the snow flurries lessen. However, there was less light for me to see. We stood near the trunk of a large tree.

"What are you afraid of?" How did he know I was scared?

"That you lured me out here to kill me."

He turned and one of his hands rose to my cheek and softly held my face. "I would never hurt you. Why would you think I would?"

"My dad said people hate gays and all my friends would tie me up and stone me to death if they found out. Not that I'm gay or anything."

He put his finger over my mouth. His hand was cold against my lips. It felt like the only part of my body that existed was where he was touching me. I could hardly see his eyes, but they looked so loving and hurt.