Chapter 24 - Eirik

At the rink, the coach yelled at us when he heard players acting like the game would be easy because the opponents were in last place. The coach tried and failed to get them to take it seriously. I scored in the first shift but after that we didn't score again. We ended up losing by four goals to the last-place team.

We all moped around in the locker room after. The coach came in and gave us an 'I told you so' speech, but left it at that. I worried about our next practice, knowing how dad would've punished us. However, dad never denied what he would do to us. He would tell everyone to be at the next practice or he would bench them for several games.

The parents were supportive and congratulated me for my goal. I ignored them and shook it off.

Mom tried to make me feel better. "One player can't win the game on his own."

"Well, if I was out there, they wouldn't have scored two of those goals. Such babies that they won't dive in front of a puck," Einar said.

I couldn't help agreeing with him. Even if I wanted him on offense with me, he never would have let that to happen on defense.

"Yeah, well, aren't you in enough pain as it is?" Mom asked Einar.

He shrugged. "Yeah, so. This is hockey, mom. Sometimes you get hurt."

I know Joey missed having him play. Einar was the only player who would block shots for him. One time, Einar even knocked a player out with one punch for jumping on Joey. I watched Einar grab the guy's jersey, lift him up and turn him to face him, then punch him once.

I think the referees were shocked too, because they blamed Einar's defensive partner. Even the refs didn't think Einar would do such a thing. You would think dad would have been proud of Einar, but it enraged him that Einar wasn't beating people up every game.

While for me, when I hurt someone accidentally, it doesn't bother me much. I might wish it didn't happen, but it's hockey and checking is part of the sport. Einar, however, hates hurting people, even in games. He has left two players injured on the ice before where they needed to be carried off.

Neither time was he trying to hurt anyone. The first time it happened, we were not supposed to be checking yet. Einar didn't even hit the player directly, but he checked the players' stick into the boards. I think the stick pinned, and the player skated into it, jabbing it into his chest.

They penalized Einar for illegal checking since we were too young, but he punished himself more than the refs. I saw him cry in the penalty box. I think others thought he was sad he got the penalty, but I knew the truth. He hated hurting anyone and believed it made him a bad person.

The second time, a player on the other team was taking cheap shots against our teammates and no one could take him on. Well, Einar had enough and took him out with one check against the boards. Honestly, it was the loudest check I ever heard.

I was on the bench, and it shook the boards and glass. One of the kids' teammates helped him off the ice, and that ended all the cheap shots from the other team. Our teammates patted him on the back and I could tell he liked that, but I also could tell he was upset he might have injured the kid.

The following Monday, we headed to see Dr. Irlova again. This time, she walked us back to her office. There was a large couch and two armchairs facing each other. The three of us sat on the couch while she sat opposite from us.

"We have the results, and I want to discuss them before sending our report to the team handling Einar's investigation and his health," Dr. Irlova said. She flipped through several packets of information in front of her and handed one to mom.