Chapter 22

Marley, Steve, Max, Lucas and Dustin all followed the old trains tracks as they made there way through the forest.

"Your positive that was dart?" Asked Lucas

"Yes. he had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt."

"He was tiny two days ago." Said Max

"Well, he's molted three times already." Dustin argued back

"Malted?" Asked Steve

"Molted." Corrected Dustin "sheds his skin to make room for growth like hornworms."

"When's he gonna moly again?" Asked Max

"It's gotta be soon." Said Dustin "when he does he'll be fully grown, or close to it, and so will his friends."

"Yeah, and then he's gonna eat a lot more than cats." Steve answered

"Wait a cat?" Asked Lucas stoping in front of Dustin "dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? no." Said Dustin sounding confused

"What are you taking about? He ate mews." Said Steve

"Mews? Who's mews?" Asked Max

"It's Dustin's cat." Said Steve

"Steve!" Exclaimed Dustin sounding annoyed

"I knew it! You kept him!" Yelled Lucas

"No!" Argued Dustin

"No!" Questioned Lucas

"No, I... no, I... he missed me. He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!" Yelled Lucas

"I didn't know he was a demogorgon, ok?" Argued Dustin

"Oh so now you admit it?" Demanded Lucas

"Guys who cares, we have to go!" Said Max, but they both ignored her.

"I care! you put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas yelled

"So did you!" Argued Dustin raising his voice

"What?" Asked Lucas confused

"You told a stranger the truth!" Yelled Dustin shining his torch in Max's face.

"A stranger?" Max scoffed squinting at the light shining in her eyes

"You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas yelled

"But I didn't, Lucas, ok!" Yelled Dustin, as Marley and Steve glanced at each other, both hearing screeching in the distance. "I didn't tell her! We both broke the rule of law, ok? So we're even. We're even!"

"No, no! We're not even. Don't even try that." Snapped Lucas, Marley and Steve both edged closer to the forest. "Your stupid pet could have ate us for dinner!"

"That was not my fault!" Yelled Dustin

"Guys!" Called Marlow, Dustin and Lucas ignored her and kept arguing. "Guys!" She yelled again louder, the screeching got louder, Marlow and Steve turned back to the forest. The boys and Max glanced over, as Steve and Marley began walking towards the sound, Dustin and Lucas followed.

"No, no, no. Hey, guys, why are you headed towards the sound?" Yelled Max, they all ignored her "hello?" She called again "hello?"
It didn't take long for Mac to catch up to them as they came to the edge of the forest.

"I don't see him." Said Dustin coming to a stop followed by everyone else. Lucas held the binoculars up to his face and looked around.

"It's the lab." He suddenly said "there going back home." They began making there way to the lab, they were almost there when Marley heard a voice.