mysterious boat

—

The pounding of footsteps forced Kirsten out of her sleep. The sound of her door being slammed opened alerted the girl of her sister presence.

"Hey. We're going on a boat ride today, boys are picking us up after the get Evelynn. Which means we have like an hour to get ready." Kiara explains to her sister.

In actuality, the twins had a little longer than an hour. They knew that not only did Evelynn have to sneak past her parents, but the girl took an unnecessary amount of time to perfect an outfit, even if all they were doing was going on a boat ride.

The girls figured that if they told themselves that they only had a short amount of time to get ready then they'd rush, ultimately leaving them about forty-five minutes to themselves before they had to leave.

It worked, but that didn't mean they were always ready when the group showed up.

Kirsten groaned to herself as she got out of bed, already having a simple outfit in mind.

•••

"I can only assume by the way you're dressed that you're going to be with those pogues today." Matthew Connor spoke as soon as he walked downstairs.

"You would correct, father." Evelynn responds, her tone leaving an odd feeling in her dad's stomach.

Matthew could tell that his daughter didn't care for his opinions on other people. He knew she only truly cared about how his wife's mother felt. And if Elizabeth was okay with her being friends with the pogues, then that was all the approval she truly needed.

And that angered him to his core.

"And what would you do if I told you that I don't want you around them or that Luca anymore?" His question was more of a threat, they both knew. Yet, only one of them cared.

"I'd tell you that I don't really care and you've been doing this for the last tens years of my life so you should probably get over it." She shrugged.

Matthew angrily placed his cup on the counter as he glared at the girl in front of him, "What the hell did I tell you about talking to me like that?"

"To stop talking to you like that." Evelynn said, "I also recall you saying that respect goes both ways. And you haven't really went out of your way to respect me this week, have you, father?"

Matt absolutely despised that word.

Father.

He knew that Evelynn was aware of his hatred for such a sophisticated word. It made him feel like she didn't care for him, which he wasn't completely off.