message from Big John

—

"JJ, that's disgusting." Evelynn groaned, watching the blonde make himself a sandwich.

"She's right." Pope added, "That bread had mold on it three days ago."

The Maybank shrugs, "I'll just pull off the bad parts. Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism."

"That's not how it works." Kirsten winced, rubbing her hand against her forehead. "Let's go."

"Yup, yup, yup! Hot damn! Let's do it." He cheered, pulling the girl forward.

Luca watches as the teen gags out his sandwich, hiding his amusement upon noticing Evelynn's look of distaste.

Kiara moves around her sister, the two getting a good look at the paper in John B's hands, waiting impatiently as he took his time to open it.

John B gasps, "Holy shit."

"Oh. X marks the spot." Pope points to the markings on the map.

"Longitude, latitude. Wait, there's somethin' else in there."

The Routeledge boy digs in the envelope, pulling out what Kirsten recognized as a tape recorder. The same couldn't be said for the blonde standing to her left,

"What's that?"

Kie rolls her eyes, "It's a tape recorder, dumbass."

"Don't call him a dumbass." Kirsten whispers to her sister harshly, nudging the girl who reciprocates the action. This goes on for a few more hits before Evelynn's swapping spots with Kie, muttering a 'relax' to the twins.

"Dear Bird."

"Who's Bird?" Luca wondered, glancing down at the brunet teen.

John B glances up at him, "That's what my dad called me."

Luca nods, keeping quiet for the rest of the audio.

"I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either."

The group shares looks of confusion at the sound of things clattering around on the other side of the tape.

"You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly Father of the Decade.

Evelynn hummed in agreement.

Big John sighs, "What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listenin' to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of theMerchant. If somethin' happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid."