diver down

—

"Look, I'm callin' it off. All right? Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

JJ scoffs, "And you believed her?"

"Yes, I believe her, JJ."

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop."

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out. It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

Evelynn rubs her temples in annoyance. After explaining to the group that Peterkin came by Luca's house to question them, John B almost immediately shut the search down, claiming that it'd be too much if Luca was getting involved. Evelynn then told the boy that while Luca was suspicious, he never outright asked her what was going on. She then stated that even if she were apart of the 'mission', she couldn't find it in herself to lie to her boyfriend if he did happen to ask.

"He saved you, John B." Kirsten quickly defends her friend, JJ patting her shoulders as he spoke next,

"You know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown your ass."

"Topper was gonna drown me?"

"Sure looked like it."

"Really looked like it." Evelynn chimed in, "It was kind of embarrassing on your part, Johnathan."

The Routledge scoffs at her, "Funny."

"It was."

JJ turns to him, "Have you looked in a mirror?"

"Tell me some more. Come on."

"They always win, don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!"

"At least in that fight they did."

"Evelynn." Kirsten whispered harshly, letting her friend know that now was not the time.

"Goddamn!" JJ continues.

Kie turns at his shouts, "Look, it's okay!"

"No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it."

JJ then begins a monologue that Evelynn can't help but hide her chuckle at.

"And I understand why you don't wanna go." His blue eyes fall on Pope, "You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you two- I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?"

Kirsten turns her head down at his words, suddenly feeling bad.

JJ then turns to Evelynn, "If you do it, it's only because you want to see us fail, but if you don't then we all know why."