the right thing

—

JJ huffed at the sound of footsteps following after him.

He knew it was Kirsten. And while he wanted to tell the girl to go away, he couldn't bring himself to do it. He needed someone to talk to, someone who wouldn't judge him.

Kirsten was always the person to go to for that. Now, if he wanted someone to slap him on the back and tell him to get over it, he'd call for Evelynn.

"I'm fine, Kirsten." He called out to her, refusing to look at her as she ran up to his side.

"You're not." She said, finally catching up to him, "They shouldn't have said those things."

JJ ran his tongue on his bottom lip, "Yeah, I know. But it's nothing i'm not used to."

"You shouldn't be used to that, JJ." She said, stepping in from of him, stopping him from walking.

The Maybank huffed, blue eyes landing on her body, "I'm
over it, honestly. And you should be too."

Kirsten closed her eyes as he walked past her, turning back to follow him.

"Okay, fine. We don't have to talk about it right now."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Let's talk about something else." She started, "For example... I know your first name isn't JJ."

•••

Evelynn flinched at the sound of Luca's bedroom door closing loudly.

John B had dropped the couple off to his house after the Antonio teen practically demanded that everyone should take a breather and they would meet up again once everything was settled. It didn't take much convincing as John B was driving to figure eight immediately after he dropped Kie and Pope off.

Sitting down on Luca's bed, the Connor girl fiddled with the rings on her fingers nervously. Her boyfriend inhaled softly, before he leant up against the wall, arms crossed over his chest as he looked at her.

"What's wrong with you?"

Evelynn frowned, "What?"

"Evelynn."

"Luca." She smacked her hands against her legs in annoyance.

"That guy had a gun."

"I know."

"To your head." His jaw clenched, "And you talked back to him. You see where i'm going with this, right?"

She rolled her eyes, "Don't talk to me like i'm stupid."

"What you did was stupid, Evelynn!"

She made a face, "You don't have to yell."

"It seems to be the only thing that catches your attention." He scoffed, "You can't do shit like that. You could have gotten seriously hurt."