just a graze

—

Kirsten has been scared quite a few times in her sixteen years of living. One example being her recent encounter with self proclaimed 'kook king', Rafe Cameron. Another one being the time she had managed to drown herself trying to learn a surfing trick JJ taught her— she still hasn't figured it out.

That being said, the girl was also used to panicking, freaking out, whatever one might call it. Though, having befriended what seemed to be the most reckless group on the island, she still hadn't realized that panicking got you no where. So, here she was... panicking, as was the rest of her friend group, aside from Luca, who looked around with a bored expression as JJ struggled to remember where he left the gun.

While Luca wanted to question why the hell his girlfriends friend had a gun, he was mostly questioning why the hell he agreed to help the pogues find this so called 'royal merchant'. From what he heard his father speaking about, the royal merchant didn't exist.

He could hear the sound of men's voices as from the outside the house.

"John Routledge!"

Luca glanced around the room, expression still stoic as he pushed passed Pope to grab the pair of scissors sitting on the desk. After gently instructing Evelynn to peel past the pained windows, he forced the twins to stand close to the girl, and away from the door.

He had managed to get John B and JJ to put all their weight against the doors as Evelynn moved as quickly as she could. He could hear the harsh whispers of Pope, the Heyward rushing Evelynn in her tasks, he knew the girl couldn't work quickly under pressure, so with a harsh glare he succeeded in getting the boy to shut up. The Antonio was also aware that he was probably one of the strongest, so he took the task of helping John B and JJ hold the door down.

"Evelynn, hurry up." JJ demanded, his rapid heartbeat echoing through his ears as he watches Kirsten's eyes fill with tears.

"I'm almost done." She quickly whispered back, jumping at the sound of the door knob jiggling. She could hear the twins fast breathing as they comforted each other, her heart pounding in her chest as she felt Luca's eyes on her back.

"You better not be in there!"

"Evelynn—"

"Got it."

Just as the banging on the door started, the girl was chucking the scissors across the room, and forcing the window open.

The girls could hear Luca instruct Pope to go down first, wanting to make sure someone caught them, insuring they wouldn't get hurt on the way down.

Knowing she wouldn't calm down until she was out, Evelynn insisted that Kirsten went next, the girl listening, her breathing slowing down as she watched her sister following quicklime behind her.

JJ's blue eyes fell on the Connor girl, reluctantly listening to her instructions to go next, after Kie. He landed next to Pope, the boy seemingly not knowing what to do next. He huffed out in panic as he watched the twins cry. Cursing to himself he forced the group of three to follow him.

"Get in." He whispered, making sure to keep his voice low, not wanting the men to catch them.

"We're not all going to fit in there." Kirsten voiced her concerns, crawling in behind her sister.

"We'll make it work." He muttered back, glancing back towards the house to see Evelynn crawling out next.

After insuring that Kirsten was okay, he quickly went back to help the girl down. He could still hear the banging of the door, now noticing that it was only Luca against the two men, as John B was now dropping down next to him.

"Shit."

•••

Luca closed his eyes as the men continued to force their bodies against the closed door. He could only silently thank Big John for his choice in wood, as they had only managed to break the top of the door.

His heart was beating quickly in his chest as he watched John B exited the room. He could faintly her the cocking of a gun as his eyes widen in fear. He managed to successfully dodged the bullet that forced its way past the wooden door and near his face, only to feel himself dribbling forward in pain.

•••

"Where's Luca." Evelynn cried as JJ shoved her forward, practically forcing the girl into the chicken coop.

"He's fine."

"Where is he?" She whispered back, her glare making the boy wish he had waited for his new friend.

Before he can answer, the rooster began making noise, startling the group more.

"Do something, Pope. Shut him up." Kie said, her voice cracking slightly.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Pet it, or talk to it. I don't know."

The animal ran past the Heyward before he could do anything.

"Don't kill him." Kirsten pleaded, tears running down her face, as she watched JJ grab ahold of its neck.

"Screw the damn chicken." Evelynn snapped, "Where's Luca?"

Much to Kirsten's dismay, JJ had no choice but unalienable the poor animal, sending the twins into silent sobs. The group stilled as they saw the shadow of one of the intruders walking closer to them.

"Ratter! What the hell are you doin'? Let's go."

It took a minute before the two men drove away, the boys letting out sighs of relief as the girls finally lost their sobs be heard. Evelynn waisted no time as she hurriedly pushed pasted everyone and out the coop.

"Luca!" Her voice broke as she yelled out.

John B and JJ took this time to comfort the twins, Pope following behind the Connor girl, also calling out for her boyfriend.

"Luca!"

"I'm over here!" He shouted back, immediately catching their attention, their eyes widening at the blood that coated the side of his face. "I'm fine, it's just a graze."

"Just a graze?!" Pope shouted, sounding a lot more worried than the boy himself. "You're bleeding out!"

"I'm fine." He assured, his eyes focused on his girlfriends tear stained cheeks, "I'm okay."