a setup

—

"He said it looked something like this."

Kiara and Sarah's conversation fell deaf to Evelynn's ears as she turned to look over at Kirsten,

"So..."

Kirsten looked up, "So, what?"

"Are we gonna talk about it?"

The Carrera looked genuinely confused.

"Okay, so you aren't picking up what i'm throwing at you."

"That's not the—okay." Kirsten waved a dismissive hand, "What were you talking about?"

"We were talking about JJ."

At the mere mention of his name, the girl felt her heart speed up, "What about him?"

"I heard from Luca how he was freaking out because you kissed his cheek last night."

Kirsten lifted a brow, placing a hand to her heart while giving her a teasing smile, "Awe, you guys gossip about us?"

"Of course we gossip about you. It's like watching a reality show at this point, begging through the screen that your favorite non-couple couple finally kisses."

"Ew, stop it!" She smacked her arm, "Look, they're here. Let's go."

"Trying to turn the conversation in a different direction." Evelynn rolled her eyes dramatically, skipping over to her boyfriend. The Antonio teen smiling softly as soon as he saw her.

JJ and Luca walked up to them, the former speaking up, "Kie! This better work. We can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it."

"Must you be so pessimistic, JJ?" Kirsten teased, brushing off the look given to her by Evelynn.

Kie raised a torch, "It's gonna work."

•••

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein."

"Like you could've done better."

"I could have. I took a welding class."

"Did you really?" Luca asked, genuinely interested. His question was left unanswered as he got interrupted by John B putting himself in between them.

"Whoa, whoa. Hey. Sh! Chill out, okay?"

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did I get this job anyway?"

"Cause you're the best liar."

His face dropped, sending an obvious look towards Evelynn. Evelynn was one of the best liars in their friend group. She, personally, felt like she came in second between her a JJ, but the Maybank had insisted otherwise. They've even had challenges before where they'd talk to strangers and see how long they could string on a lie.