midsummers

—

Luca rested his head against the wall, eyes closed as he listened to the sounds of beeping and uninteresting conversations.

JJ was next to him, leant forward with his elbows to his knees and hands covering his face. It was clear that he was stressed.

Luca knew that he would get in serious trouble with his mother but he could easily explain to her that he didn't just go around fighting people for no reason. He wasn't completely sure, but the Antonio teen had an idea that JJ wouldn't be getting the easy way out.

He had heard the talk about Luke Maybank and how he treated his son. As much as he genuinely felt bad, Luca couldn't do much to help. He didn't know JJ well, but he had been around him long enough to understand that he clearly didn't like to talk about his family, and knowing what it's like to be reserved, he didn't think he should push it.

The blue eyed teens look up at the sound of their names being called.

"Your mother is here."

The taller of the two sighed, patting JJ in his shoulder as a sign of good luck before he followed the officer to the front, JJ going the opposite direction to speak with Shetiff Peterkin.

"Luca Niccolo Antonio." Lori seethed, the scold giving the boy flashbacks, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

His head hung low as his mother signed a paper.

"You're lucky I don't have to pay for your release,"

"We have the money—"

"That's not the point, Luca! You can't just go around fighting people simply because they want what you have!"

"Evelynn wasn't the only reason, mom. I was being provoked." He quickly defended himself, following the woman to the car.

"Provoked how, Luca?"

"He kept making comments. Wouldn't leave me alone. It's not like I went around looking for a fight." Luca told her, "When we go parties, I would do what I could to stay away from him but the kid is obsessed."

Lori sighed, placing a hand on her forehead, "Just get in the car, we have to go get ready for midsummers."

Luca looked at his mom, upset with himself that he was causing her so much stress. He gave one last look to the police station, catching one glimpse of Luke Maybank walking in before he heard a shout from his mom to hurry up.

•••

Kirsten grunted as Evelynn tightened the stings on her dress.

The girls had decided to avoid any arguments between the Carrera's and get ready at Evelynn's grandmothers house, which the woman was extremely excited about. Lizzie always loved to the be first to see her granddaughter and friend after they got all glammed up, it made her feel special.