the gun

—

Outside of a sewer was quite literally the last place Evelynn wanted to be. Unfortunately enough, if she wanted to at least pretend that she cared for clearing John B's name, she'd had to attend the journey in retrieving the item that got him in trouble from the start.

"This is the north drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully." JJ said, "So, if it got flushed out from this drain, it would've been pushed out to, like—"

"Somewhere in this trash."

"Correct."

"Oh my God." Kie huffed, "People who use plastic should be shot."

"Crazy how that's her first complaint." Luca muttered to himself, allowing Evelynn to use his arm to keep her from accidentally ruining her shoes more than they already were.

"Okay, personally, I love plastic. Use it every day. Love the stuff." JJ joked, earning a playful eye roll from his girlfriend.

"Hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean."

"I thought you'd say something like that, so..." Pope trailed off, "trash bags."

Kie hummed, "Did you just proactively protect the environment?"

"Maybe."

"How thoughtful." Evelynn rolled her eyes, earning a nudge from Kirsten,

"It's sweet."

"You want us to leave you two alone, or what's going on?" JJ pursed his lips in a thin line, jumping as Pope chucked the roll of bags in his directions.

"Just pick up the trash."

•••

After successfully cleaning up the trash, and finding absolutely nothing, the pogues stepped back to admire their work,

"Ah. Well, that was fun."

"If it's not in the trash, then it's gotta be in the storm drain." Kirsten said, earning thoughtful looks from her friends.

"It's in... it's in the drain." JJ nodded.

"Damn it."

"Of course it is."

"Good thing I brought the crow."

"So, are we gonna do, like, rock, paper, scissors...?" Kie trailed off, her hands making their way onto her hips.

"No."

"Or alphabetically?"

"Absolutely not." Evelynn rolled her eyes. Her name starting with an 'e' was an immediate tell that she would end up being the one going in and she did not want to do that.