virtual reality

"All right, keep a look out. We're behind enemy lines." JJ told his friends, cocking his gun dramatically.

"JJ, put that shit that down." Kirsten muttered, getting out of the van, brushing her hands against the Maybank's shoulders.

"Yo, come on, man. Just put it back."

The blue eyed teen ignored him, "What?"

"JJ—"

"You can never be too careful."

Pope brushes past Kirsten, leaning against JJ's side of the van, "Hey, I predict that bringing a weapon to a four-star hotel will likely cause more problems than they solve"

"Thank you, Pope." John mutters, sighing to himself as he leant his head up against the window:

"I swear to God, I'm gonna throw that thing in the ocean, JJ. Put it back." Kie snapped, getting out after Pope.

Kirsten reaches forward, snatching the weapon out of his hands and tossing it to John B.

"There you go."

"You can't grab a gun like that, Kirsten."

The girl mocked him, "Whatever."

"Can't forget my badge. Professional busboy." He flashed the badge to his friends, smiling brightly at Kirsten's chuckle.

"You think we'll see Evelynn here?"

"Nah, her mom wouldn't be caught dead at anything lower than a five star resort."

"So, where are we going now?"

"We're getting on the internet because only rich people have electricity right now." JJ explain, gesturing forward before using that same arm to tug Kirsten closer by her shoulder, "This way!"

•••

"Mom?!" Luca called out, shutting the door behind him.

He looked around his house with a frown. He didn't like how quiet it was. Odd silences always freaked the teen out, it's why he was never seen alone.

While he enjoyed being quiet when he was with people, he just couldn't handle there being no noises. It was probably because of how much time he spent with Evelynn, someone that always had something to talk about.

Whether it be about other people, or random conspiracies, she always found something to rant on about that entertained him.

"Dad?!"

He huffed quietly, realizing that he was definitely alone. He wondered himself with what he could do until Evelynn and his mom got back from shopping.

•••

"See, they got the backup generators going? Kooks don't miss a beat." JJ told his friends in a hushed voice, smiling as he got them passed the kooks and into a secluded room.

Pope gasped as soon as they walked in, "Sweet Lord, the internet! I've missed you."

Kirsten turned at the sound of her sister calling out for John B. She was confused until she realized that he was lingering in the hallways of an establishment they weren't supposed to be in.

She sent the boy a look, earning an innocent shrug in response.

"Let me get in there. Gotta check out my Insta models." Kirsten rolled her eyes at her crush's words, moving away from him so she's stood behind Pope, getting a clear look of the computer.