getting away

—

"They're fancy people. They've had three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years." Kie said.

Due to the lack of space in Pope's car, Kie had began to grow uncomfortable with squeezing in so she made the decision to sit in the backseat of Luca's car. Which also happened to lack space.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ chuckled, "You hear that, Ev? You're poor."

The Connor girl rolled her eyes at her phone, where the Maybank's voice came from, "JJ, shut up."

"You sure this is the place, Pope?"

"Pretty sure."

"All right."

"'Pretty sure' is going to get us all killed." Luca spoke lowly, putting his car in park.

As they closed the car doors, the group of six met up the middle,

"I'm sure we'll be fine." Kirsten tried to lighten the mood, her soft eyes darting between her sister, best friend and best friend's boyfriend.

Kie seemed to agree, though Evelynn and Luca held back obvious expressions of uneasiness.

"We'll see."

JJ, unaware of their faces, looked around in awe, "Fat City, for sure."

"Twenty-seven King Street." Pope compared the address on the paper to the building in front of them.

"Talk about home security. Are those spikes to keep people out?"

"Doubt it."

Kie shook her head, "No."

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope sighed, "These spikes were to keep people in."

Evelynn hummed sarcastically, "Love that."

•••

"Do you think this many people will intimidate them?" JJ asked as they walked up the steps of the house.

Evelynn chuckled, "You aren't intimidating anyone, JJ, believe me."

"Oh, and you are?" He snapped back.

"More people than you have—"

Their argument was cut short by Pope knocking on the door. The knocks echoed loudly, startling Kirsten who hadn't expected it,

"You think that was too much?"

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure. So they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home." Kie looked around for signs of human presence.

Pope knocked again, almost stumbling into the house as the door unexpectedly opened to reveal an older man.