promises

—

Kirsten stood outside the jacuzzi, absentmindedly running her hand through the water while JJ sat on the edge with his feet in. The two hadn't spoke much since his breakdown the night before, but there was a silent agreement that they would have their moment to talk about it when they got a chance alone.

"How's it feeling?" Pope called up to Kie, who was in a bucket that was hanging in a tree.

"Feels good."

"Taking you down."

Kie nodded, "Okay."

"John B pullin' a Houdini." JJ said

"Yeah, where is he? I got my scholarship interview tomorrow. We gotta get this done!"

"He's here." Kirsten said, looking over in the direction of the Routeledge teen.

"Speak of the devil. Hey! Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything."

Kirsten rolled her eyes playfully, "No, he did not."

"I did that." Pope said in a joking tone.

"Hey, John B." Kie tried greeting him, only to get brushed off as he walked into the house without sparing them a glance.

"What's his problem?"

"Okay, that's it?"

"Uh... what's that all about?" Pope frowned, looking around for an explanation.

Kirsten shrugged, "Your guess is as good as mine."

"I was gonna ask you the same question."

The group of four shared a look, following behind John B. They watched as he began to open and slam things shut, obviously in the search for something.

"You all right, man? What... what's up?"

"What are you looking for?" Kie asked.

JJ stepped forward, his chest brushing against Kirsten's back, "Bro, what's going on?"

Their faces drop as John continued to ignore their questions and concerns and instead pulls out JJ's gun.

"John B, what do you need the gun for? Just... No!

"Talk to us!"

"John B, chill!" Kie shouts

"What are you doing? What, are you JJ now?" Pope's comment got him shoved by the brunet.

"Don't say that."

"Shi... Are you okay?" Kie kept Pope upward.

"John B, what the hell are you doing?"

They began to follow him outside, catching him just in time to see he was about to take JJ's motorcycle.

"John B, what the hell?"