pogue god

—

Evelynn was leant up against the edge of the boat as she sat on the floor. What she hoped would only be a ten minute dive turned into twenty minutes of listening to JJ freak out over his crush, and her best friend, possibly being dead. The girl had already heard Pope and Kiara reassure him that Kirsten was fine, only for him to shut it down minutes later.

"S-She could be dead already, trapped on seaweed. Possibly eaten by a shark—"

"JJ, shut up!" Evelynn snaps, "She's fine. And as much as I like, hate John B, i'm pretty sure he'd give her whatever amount of air he had left in his tank if she ran out. Relax your nerves, for the love of God, you're making me anxious."

JJ finally quiets down, his eyes trailing to the floor, only looking up at Pope's next words.

"Shit." Pope muttered, "Guys, that's the police."

"Oh, you're kidding." Evelynn whispers, "My parents are gonna kill me."

"Yep, that's the police. Just act frickin' normal." As JJ says this, Eveylnn can't help but squint at his odd sitting position.

"Yeah, cause that's normal."

"Evening, officers."

"Evening."

"JJ, tie it off."

"How you kids doing? You know the marsh is closed? Deputy Shoupe asked, glancing between the four of them.

"No."

"No. Wow."

"I didn't know that. Why... why is it closed?"

"Well, we're conducting a search out here. Boat went down. Seen anything?" The deputy wonders, his eyes trained on JJ, the boy noticeably uncomfortable.

"No, sir." Evelynn speaks up, successfully taking the attention off of the Maybank, "No boats. No."

"Where's your friend you always hang with? He here?"

"He's working." Kie lies.

Shoupe hums, his eyes trailing over Kiara's body, the girl not noticing as her eyes nervously stared at the floor of the boat.

Evelynn struggles to hide her face of disgust as she finds herself practically shoving the life jacket into the girls hand, "Put it on, now."

"I'm gonna check your little boat out."

Pope nods, "Yeah, hop aboard. You wanna check... uh, check her out."

Evelynn doesn't even try to hold back her twentieth eye roll of the day at Pope's horrible lying abilities,

"Thank you."

Shoupe nods to the life jacket Kiara's wearing, "Uh... you got another one?"

"Yeah." JJ vaguely responds. Just as Shoupe looks as if he's about to move on, Pope speaks up again, much to the girls' annoyance,