stuck on the puzzle (james patrick march)

It had been years since you had seen him three years to be exact, you had married another man made him believe he had fathered your daughter faith so you wouldn't have a baby out of wedlock.

You didn't love your husband, not like you loved the man who had you years ago before he came into new money and lived life? Unknown to the fact he left you with his heir.

You wondered if he remembered you or even thought about you, you always thought about him and the charm he radiated James patrick march was the love of your life.

Your husband Derek was a kind man a hard worker, a great father to your two year old daughter, the guilt eating out everyday hiding the truth from Derek.

Derek had time off work and thought it would be a great idea to get away from the house take it easy, so that's what you did your little family entering the hotel cortez faith on your hip, babbling into her pacifier.

"Do you have a reservation?" The receptionist asked you looked around the elaborate building as your husband got your room key.

That's when you spotted him up on the balcony a few floors up, James squinting your eyes unsure if you were  Hallucinating or what, his stare on you piercing through your soul.

Holding your daughter a little tighter as your husband pulled you out of your thoughts "honey let's go to our room" he smirked his hand on the small of your back guiding you to your room.

Once you get settled in setting faith in the bed you and your husband were sharing "Derek I think I might go to the bar for a drink do you mind?" You asked the thought eating you that maybe just maybe your hallucination was real.

"Sure honey I'll keep an eye on faith" he smiled you slipped your shoes Back on, "I love you" your husband said as you stepped out the door, "I love you too" you whispered untruthfully leaving the room and heading to the bar.

The fluorescent lights shining as you made your way around the cortez, a pang of hope that James was here, you preyed he was three years you hadn't seen him, you missed him.

Finally making it to the bar ordering a martini, thanking the bartender paying them, taking a sip of your beverage, looking around the remarkable building unlike anything you had seen before.

"Y/n?" A recognisable voice spoke pulling your attention to the voice, your heart skipping a beat your hallucination was infact real "James" you whimperd in shock the man that had left years ago leaving you pregnant and broken-hearted now infront of you.

"It's really you After all these years here you are" James said a cigarette in hand a glass of whisky in hand, "what are you doing here james" you asked sipping your martini.

"Why dear I own this place remarkable isn't it" he smiled taking a seat on the barstool next to You, "it really is beautiful James you always had a taste for glamour" you replied taking James in, his outstanding features that swerved you off your feet.

"So are you staying here with your husband" James asked after talking for a few hours now sitting at a booth for more privacy, "yes I am" you said now drinking a whisky.

"When did you get married?" He went on to ask a glint of sorrow and jealousy in his eyes, "a few months after you had left" you said James narrowed his brows realising the child on your hip was why you had wed.

"I found out I was pregnant before you left and we got married" you sighed wanting to tell James he infact fathered faith.

"I must say now I apologise if I offend you dear but I noticed your child doesn't necessarily look like your husband" James said now recalling your daughters features her jet black hair, dark eyes and prominent cheekbones your daughter undoubtedly had the striking march features.

You sat in shock by your past lovers words "what are you trying to insinuate here james" you asked sipping the last of your whisky, James sat back dramatically puffing his cigarette.

"Well she does look like me if I must say and the timing adds up" James shrugs, you looked into his eyes unable to speak, "James i-i" you stuttered trying to find the words.

"Well is she mine?' James asked his eyes searching your teary ones, wiping the tears away from your eyes, "yes james I wanted to tell you but you left to live a better life so I convinced Derek he's the father" you whispered James scooted closer to you.

"What did you call her" his voice flat thinking about everything, "faith Margaret y/l/n" you said looking into James's dark eyes, "can I meet her" he went on to ask.

You didn't know what to say, he was her father "I don't know james my husband I can't have him knowing that I lied to him" you grimced stuck on a puzzle.

"But she is my child dear" james said with a smirk "of course your husband is on the birth certificate but no harm in you seeing an old friend now is there?" He said gaslighting you.

"James I will need to think about it now if you'll excuse me I'm going to bed" you said getting off the seat you once say on leaving James alone.

Your mind racing making your way back to the hotel room, tears rolling down your face, you can't let James see his daughter it's too risky with Derek here, and how would you approach it.

Even though faith was young and won't remember the encounter, the thought scared you that James will say something, you were stuck if you let James see his daughter he might say something and if you don't he will say something.

You just had to stay up all night and think about it all, opening your room door seeing your daughter asleep on the bed your husband on the little table in the room doing a little bit of work.

"Hey" you whispered wiping the remaining tears from your eyes, "Hey honey you tired?" He asker his eyes not leaving the paper.

"A little yes" you faked yawned slipping into your silk night attire, slipping beside faith and thought for the whole night