3.

*Jericho, California*

"All right, so there's no matching Dad at the hospital or morgue. So that's something, I guess," Sam says when I notice a few police cars beside a bridge.

"What's goin' on there," I ask, leaning forward. Dean slows down and pulls aside, as we look out the windows. He opens up his glovebox and pulls out a box, shuffling through it. He pulls out a wallet, smirking.

"Let's go," he says, opening his door. I shrug, following his lead.

We approach the sheriff who's leaning into a car, talking to another officer. "So this kid Troy-- he's dating your daughter, isn't he?"

"Yeah."

"How's Amy doing?"

"She's putting up missing posters downtown."

"You fellas had another one like this last month, didn't you," Dean says making the sheriff look over at us.

"And who are you?"

"Federal Marshals," Dean lies, opening the wallet and showing him the ID.

"You three are a little young for Marshals, aren't you?"

"Thanks, that's awfully kind of you," Dean chuckles. "You did have another one just like this, correct?"

"Yeah, that's right, about a mile up the road. There have been others before that."

"So, this victim-- you knew him," Sam questions.

"A town like this, everybody knows everybody," he nods.

"Any connection between the victims? Besides that they're all men," Dean says.

"No. Not so far as we can tell."

"So what's the theory," I ask, curiously.

"Honestly, we don't know-- serial murderer, kidnapping ring," he shrugs.

"Well, that is exactly the kind of crack police work I'd expect out of you guys," Dean comments, making Sam stomp on his foot and me punch him in the side.

"Thank you for your time," Sam says. "Gentlemen," he adds, as we walk towards his car. Once we're far enough away from them, Dean slaps Sam in the back of the head. "Ow! What was that for?"

"Why did you have to step on my foot?"

"Why do you have to talk to police like that?"

"Come on. They don't really know what's going on. We're all alone on this. I mean, if we're gonna find Dad, we've got to get to the bottom of this thing ourselves."

I clear my throat making Dean turn around.

"Can I help you boys," a different officer questions.

"No, sir. We were just leaving," Dean answers as the two FBI agents walk past us. "Agent Mulder, Agent Skully."

*in town*

"I'll bet you that's her," Dean says when we a spot a girl hanging up posters everywhere.

"Yeah," Sam nods, as we approach her.

"You must be Amy."

"Yeah."

"Troy told us about you. We're his uncles and aunt. I'm Dean. This is Sammy and Callie," he lies.

"He never mentioned you to me," She says.

"Well, that's Troy, I guess. We're not around much. We're up in Modesto."

"So we're looking for him, too, and we're kind of asking around," Sam says, walking in front of her.

"Hey, are you okay," one of her friends, I'm guessing, questions her.

"Yeah."

"Do you mind if we ask you a couple questions," Sam sighs.

"Sure," she nods.