12.

"Look, Ranger, I don't know why you're asking me about this. It's public record. I was a kid. My parents got mauled by a--"

"Grizzly? That's what attacked them," Sam interrupts him. He's silent before hesitantly nodding.

"The other people that went missing that year-- those bear attacks, too," I ask. He's silent again. "What about all the people that went missing this year? Same thing? If we knew what we were dealing with, we might be able to stop it."

"I seriously doubt that," he states. "Anyway, I don't know the difference it would make. You wouldn't believe me. Nobody ever did."

"Mr. Shaw... what did you see," Sam asks softly.

He sighs. "Nothing. It moved too fast to see. It hid too well. I heard it, though. A roar... like no man or animal I ever heard," he admits.

"It came at night?" He nods. "Got inside your tent?"

"It got inside our cabin," he corrects. "I was sleeping in front of the fireplace when it came in. It didn't smash a window or break the door-- It unlocked it. Do you know of a bear that could something like that? I didn't even wake up until I heard my parents screaming."

"It killed them?"

"Dragged them off into the night. Why it left me alive-- I've been asking myself that ever since. It did leave me this, though," he sighs, pulling his robe back to reveal a large claw scar across his shoulder. "There's something evil in those woods. It was some sort of demon."

We leave his apartment, and Dean speaks. "Spirits and demons don't have to unlock doors. If they wanted inside, they'd just go through the walls."

"So it's probably something else-- something corporeal," Sam says.

""Corporeal"? Excuse me, Professor."

"Shut up. So, what do you think?"

"The claws, the speed that it moves-- It could be a skinwalker, maybe a black dog. Whatever we're talking about, we're talking about a creature, and it's corporeal, which means we can kill it."

We head outside, and Dean pops his trunk up. "We cannot let that Hailey girl go out there," Sam says.

"What are we gonna tell her-- She can't go into the woods because of a big, scary monster," I point out.

"Yeah," Sam nods making me look over at him.

"Her brother's missing, Sam. She's not just gonna sit this out," I say.

"She's right. We go with her, we protect her, and we keep our eyes peeled for our fuzzy predator friend."

"So finding Dad's not enough," Sam says, shutting the trunk. "Now we gotta babysit, too?" Dean and I stare at him. "What?"

"Nothing," Dean shrugs. He tosses the bag to him, walking toward the driver's seat. He hops in his car, and I walk over to Sam.

"What's going on with you," I question, crossing my arms.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sam... we've known each other for how long? Do you seriously believe that I'm gonna think you're okay? 'Cause I don't. You don't have to talk to me about it. That's your choice, but don't lie to me," I sigh. "It's insulting."