52.

"So you two believe her," Dean questions.

"I do."

"I think she's hot, too," Dean admits.

"No, man, there's something in her eyes. And listen to this. She heard scratching on the roof and found the bloody body suspended upside down over the car," Sam says.

"Bloody body suspended? That sounds like--"

"Yeah, the Hookman Legend," I nod.

"That's one of the most famous urban legends ever. You don't think we're dealing with the Hookman."

"Every urban legend has a source, a place where it all began," I point out.

"Yeah, but what about the phantom scratches and the tire punctures and the invisible killer?"

"Maybe the Hookman isn't a man at all. What if it's some kind of spirit," Sam suggests.

~ ~ ~

"Here you go. Arrest records going back to 1851," the librarian says setting the two large and heavy boxes in front of us.

"Thanks," I smile, dusting the top of one of them off.

"This is how you spent four good years of your life, huh?"

"Welcome to higher education," Sam nods.

~ ~ ~

After hours of looking through the records, I speak. "Hey. Check this out." They stand up and walk over to me. "1862-- a preacher named Jacob Karns was arrested for murder. He was so angry over the red-light district in town that one night he killed 13 prostitutes. Uh, right here, "Some of the deceased were found in their beds, sheets soaked with blood, others suspended upside down from the limbs of trees as a warning against sins of the flesh."," I read.

"Get this-- the murder weapon? Looks like the preacher lost his hand in an accident, had it replaced with a silver hook," Sam adds.

"Look where all this happened. 9 mile road," I say. "Same place where the frat boy was killed."

"Nice job, Dr. Venkman," Dean nods at me. "Let's check it out."

*at 9 Mile Road*

"Here you go," Dean says handing Sam a rifle.

"If it is a spirit, buckshot won't do much good."

"Yeah. Rock salt."

"Hmm. Salt being a spirit deterrent."

"Yeah. It won't kill 'em, but it'll slow 'em down."

"That's pretty good. You and Dad think of this?"

"I told you, you don't have to be a college graduate to be a genius," Dean shrugs when we hear wood creaking.

"Over there. Over there," I whisper. Sam points the rifle in the direction I pointed at, as we hear footsteps approaching.

"Put the gun down now! Now," I hear an officer shout. "Get your hands behind your head!"

"Wait, wait, wait. Okay, okay," I say.

"Get on your knees! Come on, do it!" We do as he says. "Come on on your bellies."

Well, this is just great.