part one

you wiped away the sweat forming on your forehead, took a small step back and a deep breath in, before releasing it slowly.

it had been a while since you've had competition this great.

you knew it was going to be a close battle but you were sure you'd prevail and emerge victorious, your opponent only had one pokemon left anyway, you and your skeledrige were pretty tired, but alas you stood strongly in this scorching heat.

you looked down at your pokemon through the corner of your eye for the signal that she was ready. she nodded at you, a proud and fierce look plastered onto her face, you returned a similar sort of look before reaching your hand forward and yelling 'flaria! use flame thrower!'

your pokemon let out a quick-paced, rhythmic yet powerful screech which was soon followed by a large to medium sized flame which sustained for a long period of time.

you had emerged victorious. 'well done girl' you said with a proud look on your face before turning towards the young boy who was standing, defeated in front of you. 'and well done to you too. you must be very powerful to have gotten all the way here, i'm very proud of you too'

the boy simply nodded before looking down at the floor in shame.

you almost felt bad for him. he must've worked so hard to get here. he was in fact one of the toughest challengers you had faced so far in working with the elite four. you could really sense his potential

you peacefully walked over to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

'hey, don't be too disappointed mate, you did amazing out there, you almost had me cornered.'

the boy just sighed. not making eye contact.

'i'm just so embarrassed....' he said under his breath before crying gently. you pulled him into a tight hug. 'hey don't worry about it okay? you could always just re-try another time, i'd love to battle you again!' you said gently, reassuring him.

the boy hugged you back.

'promise to come back here and try again okay?' you said softly into his ear.

he nodded and broke the hug before smiling widely. 'yeah... thanks y/n! i'll make sure to battle you again some day and i'm going to be stronger than you could ever imagine, just you wait and see!'

you nodded and smiled warmly. 'looking forward to it!' you responded before waving goodbye and walking out of the stadium.