CHAPTER NINE

(a/n: please ignore how, in my "author's note" for the last chapter, i would be skipping to november! most of the first movie takes place in june and july after all! so i hope that's okay!)

One Month Later
June 30th, 2002

"'Who is Spider-Man?' He's a criminal, that's who he is!"

Christina sighed harshly to herself as her boss threw the newly published newspaper down on the desk in front of him. She had been through this rodeo with him for the past week and their arguments had grown so severe that she had considered quitting on the spot at one point, but one of her co-workers, Betty Brant, had advised her to keep the job. "It'll help you raise money for college," she had said. And she was right. So, begrudgingly, the blonde had stayed at her new version of hell; and boy, was this worse than high school.

"A vigilante, a public menace!" Christina's boss shouted through the cigar he had in his mouth, and the smoke emanating from it nearly made the blonde cough. "What's he doing on my front page?!"

J. Jonah Jameson was one of the people Christina disliked the most in New York City. His enlarged ego drove her insane to the point that she would end up snapping at him from time to time. Still, he hadn't fired her yet, much to her ever so slight relief. He was close to her mother's age, around forty-six to forty-seven, and it seemed as though his age had caught up to him unlike others on Earth since his mostly dark brown hair was starting to be overwhelmed by the huge streaks of gray surrounding it. To top that off, he had the strangest-looking mustache Christina had ever seen, and it reminded her of Mario from the dozens of Super Mario games from the past twenty years.

Just as Christina was about to speak, an ear-piercing buzzing sound came from Jameson's telephone and he immediately clicked the Receptionist button next to the receiver and took a listen.

"Mr. Jameson, your wife is on Line One," Betty Brant spoke up in her regular polite tone, "she needs to know if you—" She didn't even get to finish when Jameson picked up the receiver and placed it back down, ending the call.

Another one of Christina's co-workers, Ted Hoffman — known for his hyper and upbeat personality — walked into the office looking somewhat frantic. "Mr. Jameson," he greeted his boss in a slightly panicky tone, "there's a page six problem."

"We have a page one problem, shut up!" Jameson fired back with a snarky glare in Hoffman's direction, immediately causing the younger man to back out of the office. He then glanced back at Christina and another person standing next to her, Robbie Robertson. "Well?" he encouraged them to speak, but he seemed sarcastic about it.

"He's news!" both Christina and Robbie spoke up loudly, the former trying to be more dramatic because she was honestly tired of this bullshit.

Robbie Robertson was one of the older employees at the Daily Bugle, even being older than Jameson and getting closer to his early fifties, his hair already gray from what seemed to be stress from his job. It made Christina not only feel sympathy for him but also dread her future days if she were to work for Jameson for the rest of her life. She could picture her blonde hair turning white from the irritation finally catching up to her.