CHAPTER FIVE

ENGLISH WAS MAKING Christina become bored out of her mind

ENGLISH WAS MAKING Christina become bored out of her mind. Her eyes were half-open as she stared at the chalkboard, listening to the teacher drone on and on. Every now and then, she would look down and doodle in her notebook, clearly not showing interest in whatever the English teacher had to say to the class.

She would sometimes stare out the window and daydream what it would be like once she graduated, which would happen within the following month. She would obviously have to move out of her house, unfortunately leaving her mother to be alone, and move into an apartment in the city. Then, she would have to continue her job at the Daily Bugle while she attended college at NYU, which would be torture for her. Then, if she were lucky, she would get a job as a social worker within a few years.

Christina had worked since kindergarten to get to this point, and now wasn't the time to give that up. She was finally nineteen, as well as Peter and Harry, and graduation was right around the corner and would arrive in a month. The girl had to prepare herself for the inevitable future, even if she wasn't completely ready for it. Sure, she had applied for NYU and was accepted, but she wasn't ready to be an adult just yet. She wanted to live freely just a little longer, but her life wouldn't allow that, much to her dismay.

The young woman snapped herself out of her thoughts, deciding to pay attention to the boring lesson about romanticism. She had to keep fighting the urge to doze off right there, but it never really mattered anyway, since her English teacher, Mrs. Miller, didn't really care if her students fell asleep while she was teaching. It was their loss if they missed out on education, so she wasn't going to scold them. But Christina kept herself awake, sighing softly as she glanced down at the notes she was taking.

But a silent chuckle left her lips when she saw that the notes she had written down on the notebook paper looked like complete gibberish, and she turned the page to a new blank one. She was ready to take more notes, and inevitably take much much more when she got to college within the next year. She took a deep breath and brushed off her fears of the future and focused on today, which was something she rarely did, but she forced herself to.

A whole hour and a half passed before the bell rang for class. She got up and put her notebooks into her backpack, which she almost never put in her locker. You never knew if your locker would get broken into and if your supplies would get stolen or not, so she always made sure to be careful about that. She stepped out of the classroom and began to walk down the hallway, slinging her bag over her shoulder. The object weighed her down to the point that it could have easily pinned her to the ground, but she didn't allow it to.