CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

One Day LaterJune 13th, 2005Mary Jane's POV

One Day Later
June 13th, 2005
Mary Jane's POV

"Are you sure about this, Chris?" Mary Jane asked in a meek voice as the two of them stood just outside the back entrance of the Broadway theater, glancing towards the door and avoiding her friend's gaze.

"Absolutely," Christina replied, crossing her arms as she curtly nodded. "I know I'm not really allowed in there but I can wait here. If anything goes wrong, you come out and get me and I'll do whatever I can to fix it."

The redhead nodded as she took a deep breath, attempting to calm her shaking hands. She had a horrible feeling about what they were doing and she started becoming extremely concerned as she peered all around the two of them.

Christina had offered to come with her to the next rehearsal for the following runthrough of Manhattan Memories just to see what would happen. If anything were to become a mishap, the blonde had planned to step in and put a stop to whatever it was despite Mary Jane's protests. The two of them had the idea that the aspiring actress was about to get fired and that's what terrified her.

She wanted more than anything to not be fired over one stupid negative review; she had been working to this point for most of her life, after years of her father saying that she didn't have what it took and lingering anxieties and countless insecurities. When she had gotten the part in this musical, it had seemed like a dream come true and she didn't want that to be broken forever.

"It's going to be alright," Christina assured her with a friendly smile. "I'll make sure of it. Go inside. If all goes well, then break a leg, okay?"

"Okay," Mary Jane said before slowly walking towards the back door, casting a glance back towards Christina and then stepping inside.

Shuddering from the air conditioning, she made her way to the house of the auditorium and stepped through the double doors, being met with the beautiful stage and the crew. A broad smile grew on her face but it vanished almost instantaneously when she spotted something she had prayed desperately not to see.

An actress was carefully sauntering down the prop staircase that she herself had been on a few nights before, fitting perfectly into her costume and in her makeup and her hairdo. The woman didn't even look a thing like her, for crying out loud! And here she was, taking her place in the one musical she had dreamed of starring in. Right then and there, all of Mary Jane's dreams began to shrivel up and die an agonizing death.

The actress even seemed to have a better singing voice than she did, for sure. Tears furiously stung M.J's eyes as she lowered her head out of pure humiliation, just wanting to sprint out of there as fast as she could. But she only remained rooted where she was, unable to move her legs.