CHAPTER THIRTEEN

November 29th, 20021:42 A

November 29th, 2002
1:42 A.M.

Christina was awake much later than usual as she tossed and turned in her bed, her eyes wide awake as she sighed heavily. Her fingers fiddled with the bedsheet that lay beneath her as she struggled to discover a comfortable position to sleep in, too many thoughts intruding her subconscious no matter how hard she tried to wish them away.

She kept on thinking about what had transpired during the Thanksgiving dinner, from the cut being on Peter's arm, to realizing that she had feelings for said person, all the way to the expression that had been residing in Norman's green eyes at the table.

She had never seen an emotion quite like that before and it didn't fail to utterly horrify Christina, and she squeezed her eyes shut to try and rid herself of such a thing. But she failed as she imagined those very same eyes staring into her soul right at that very moment, so she snapped herself out of it.

Norman's eyes had been filled with absolute surprise at first when they landed on the cut on Peter's arm but, over the course of thirty seconds, that surprised expression transformed from one of confusion and shock to one filled with utter rage and just... hate. It was enough to send someone who was looking into those eyes stark raving mad out of terror, and Christina had no idea why he had looked at Peter in that way, since it was something he had never done before. He always looked to him as a second son of some sort, so the utter loathing in his eyes made no freaking sense whatsoever.

This led to Christina thinking about why he could have been gripping that carving knife in a menacing way and why he had suddenly stood up to leave the apartment. The entire situation had left Christina wondering about it very carefully, since she was trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together; this was especially since Norman's behavior was seemingly brand new because he had acted almost entirely normal several months prior when she had last seen him, and he was even friendly despite being somewhat closed off because of his successful business.

It had even grown to the point where the young woman was starting to see Norman as a father that she desperately needed after Michael had taken off and left her and Margaret almost eight years ago now.

Who had been the other woman's name? Ashley? Alexandra?

Allyson, Christina thought to herself and horrible distaste was left on the tip of her tongue.

She could just picture that woman's long black hair as she thought about the bitch that had stolen her father from her and her mother. Sure, it had been Michael's choice to leave them, but why?! Christina had always wondered this, especially since it seemed that her family always got along and that they had always been happy together. She was sure that both her mother's and father's love had still been strong but she figured out quickly that they were just putting up a show for her that way she wouldn't know what was really going on.