CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

August 15th, 20041:32 P

August 15th, 2004
1:32 P.M.

Peter jogged towards the nearest payphone he could find down the street from his apartment and grabbed the receiver, instantly dialing a number that had been ingrained into his memory as he took a deep breath. Once he heard the ringing sound on the other end, he tried to keep his composure together and remained hopeful that he would be forgiven for the night before. Then again, if she had chosen the opposite, he would also be okay with that since he felt like he deserved it.

Around five rings later, the line clicked and he nearly spoke up right away until he heard this:

Hi, this is Christina. I can't come to the phone right now so please leave a message. Talk as long as you want.

The line then beeped and Peter took a deep breath to begin talking.

She probably had to go to work today, he thought.

"Hi, Chris, it's Peter," he spoke up in a slightly trembling voice. "Uh, listen, I figured I should explain myself about what happened last night... that way you understand."

It was at that moment he knew it would be extremely difficult to actually talk about what had nearly happened to him the night before; he couldn't bring up Spider-Man or the fact that he chased down two scumbag criminals that had been shooting at him. He needed it to sound as realistic as possible so he wouldn't freak Christina the fuck out whenever she eventually listened to the message.

"I was on my way to the show and I was on my bike," he began, sighing heavily. "I had stopped at a florist to get you flowers and... uh... Well, this would be a lot easier if you were actually on the phone...."

Peter cringed inwardly, rolling his eyes to himself and wishing that he could actually see the brunette right now. He didn't want to have to prepare a whole monologue so that he could say it to nothing whatsoever, especially since he had been thinking about what exactly to say the night before. For a brief moment, he had even thought of telling Christina the complete and one hundred percent honest truth: "Oh, by the way, I'm Spider-Man and that's why we can't be together. Have a nice life!"

But he knew that would be unacceptable.

After his webs had briefly failed, Peter had to take the elevator down to the first floor of the building he had been in, and he changed back into his formal suit nearby. A short time later, he found his ruined motorbike and just dragged it all the way back to his apartment; all the while, dozens and dozens of posters of Mary Jane stared back at him and reminded him of the utter guilt he felt from not making it to the play. He knew the redhead had to be pissed at him for disappointing Christina, as it had been her idea for the two of them to attend together.