CHAPTER FIFTEEN

November 29th, 200210:42 P

November 29th, 2002
10:42 P.M.
Christina's POV

Christina finished scrubbing the last plate in her sink before drying it off and placing it in one of the upper cabinets, sighing with relief that she was finally done. She then took a dish towel and wiped the water and soap suds off her hands while she looked around her kitchen, a bit of an unnerved expression in her eyes. She suddenly wished that she had stayed at the hospital with Peter and Aunt May, since the latter's attack had caused a plague of paranoia to hit her full force in the gut.

The young woman was never a fan of being alone by herself at night.

It must've had something to do with her still not being used to living away from her mother and not having that care and support in her life.

But it could have been because of the fact that most of the windows in the apartment extended from the floor to the ceiling, which could allow any creeps to stop by and peek through the parted blinds that covered them.

Christina had absolutely no idea why her mother had requested this kind of apartment for her to live in; sure, she lived by herself and could do whatever the hell she wanted, but it felt as though she didn't have any privacy whatsoever.

It was worse when she first rented the place; there had been no curtains covering the windows, which really worried her and she didn't waste any time in buying new ones so that she would feel a bit safer. Well, at least there weren't windows like this in the hallway that led to the bathroom and the two bedrooms on either side of one another. After buying the new curtains, she suddenly felt a new sense of security come over her; unfortunately, that wasn't enough to make her feel entirely secure.

The events of the night before regarding Aunt May's attack filled Christina with a whole new aura of worry and concern about her surroundings. She hated feeling this way, but she knew it would be better to be aware of what was happening around her rather than being naive at all. She just prayed that one of her walls wouldn't explode and a monster came flying through her apartment.

The blonde walked down the small hallway to her bedroom in order to go to the shelf that was resting against a blank space of wall closest to the windows. She scanned through the VHS tapes on the third shelf in order to find the perfect movie – or movies – to watch. It was the only way she could calm herself down at this point in time, which was something she desperately needed. Yeah, she really should have stayed at the hospital; but she made the incredibly stupid decision of being by herself.

But maybe she wouldn't be targeted....

Right?

Christina eventually picked out The Green Mile and carried the VHS into the living room, placing it on the television. She carefully looked around once again, taking in just how quiet it was and how much it creeped her the hell out.