CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Two Days LaterSeptember 25th, 200412:36 P

Two Days Later
September 25th, 2004
12:36 P.M.
Christina's POV

The brunette tried her best to avoid the feeling of the metallic prosthetic arm against her elbow as she looked around the back room of the enormous church. Since she felt insanely insecure about how it looked in replacement of her actual arm that was amputated a few days prior, she wore long and white satin gloves that went past her elbows. Luckily, nobody asked any questions about why she wore gloves, especially since the other bridesmaids were also wearing long satin gloves, except theirs were black. She herself had decided to wear a different color to stand out more to the guests.

Christina was clad in a breathtaking dress that was the color of red velvet; the skirt of the gown extended all the way past her feet and was poofed out elegantly, but she secretly wore black leggings underneath it. Her brown locks of hair were in perfect curls thanks to Allyson's insistence that she work on her hair and makeup, and her face was prettied up more than ever. Her eyelashes were adorned with thick layers of mascara, the eyeshadow was golden and made her bright blue eyes more apparent than ever, the blush was a light pink and almost unnoticeable unless someone looked closely, and her lipstick was a dark red and almost burgundy.

I wish Peter would see me like this, she thought and, although she blushed at the idea, she also frowned.

Peter wasn't at the church, so he wouldn't be seeing Mary Jane finally marry John. Christina figured he was just trying to avoid her, to try and protect her.

Well, she didn't need protection from anything. She could take care of herself.

Christina remembered that none of her family would be attending the wedding either; Michael and Allyson were both at work, Aidan was at a nearby daycare, and Sidney was at a friend's house... or so she said. The young woman suspected she was at Arabella's house and she smirked knowingly.

Excusing herself to a nearby bathroom for a moment, she stood in front of the mirror and removed the satin glove on her left arm.

The metal fingers moved by the will of her mind as she raised the artificial arm upward, and she studied its movements with a curious smile. The nurses had helped her adjust to it the day before and, although it was still difficult to operate and was a little painful, she was getting the hang of it. The arm eerily reminded her of one of the tentacle artificial intelligence arms that belonged to the now deceased Otto Octavius. She had been told about his body being retrieved from the river, how the arms had been detached from him, and how he was to be buried in a few days from now.