CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

One Day LaterJune 12th, 200512:43 P

One Day Later
June 12th, 2005
12:43 P.M.
Christina's POV

A knock on her front door broke Christina out of her temporary thoughts just as she finished brewing a cup of coffee for herself. She had come back from taking Sidney to her house an hour ago and she needed to wake up a little more, but she couldn't prevent the curiosity that plagued her. She set down her steaming mug and walked up to the door, making sure to check through the peephole first before opening it.

"Hey, M.J!" she greeted brightly but her smile faltered because of the look on her friend's face. "Wait, what's the matter?"

"The review of my performance came in..." was all the redhead could say as she stepped inside, grasping a newspaper in her right hand. "I read it, and... They hated it! They hated me, really..."

"What?" Christina replied with raised eyebrows. "They can't hate you... in my opinion, anyway. I thought you were great. What did the review say?"

Mary Jane hesitantly unfolded the newspaper and read out loud from it in a shaky voice: "'The young Miss Watson is a pretty girl; easy on the eyes but not on the ears. Her small voice didn't carry past the first row.'"

Christina scoffed and rolled her eyes at that. "Oh, bullshit!" she retorted, placing her real and metal hands on her hips. "That's just a lie. If I sat at least ten rows back, I'm sure I would have heard you."

"But you didn't..." M.J. said, making a good point. "You and Peter sat in the first row."

"I know that... but here's my point. I could hear you perfectly clearly. And the audience seemed to enjoy your performance as much as I did. There's nothing for you to worry about. That critic doesn't know what they're talking about, alright? You were awesome, believe me."

M.J. lowered her head and crossed her arms tightly, avoiding the blonde's gaze. "No, I wasn't..." she murmured almost silently.

Christina sighed sadly, placing her hands on her friend's shoulders. "Don't say that, okay?" she assured her. "That's just that negative voice in your head talking, we all have that. Don't put yourself down because of one dumb critic. Are you going to receive criticism sometimes? Yeah, but you can't let that bring you down. I get what you're feeling, I do."

"You do?" Mary Jane spoke up.

"Yeah, I do," said Christina. "I've been criticized before and it didn't feel great. It lowered my self-esteem but Mom eventually taught me that I need to maintain my confidence and not give a shit about what others think of me. You should do the same. It really helps, I promise."