CHAPTER FOURTEEN

( TW: blood, violence, gore )

November 29th, 2002
9:03 P.M.
Margaret's POV

Margaret Johnson, clad in a pair of light blue pajamas and purple fuzzy house slippers, sat in her recliner in the empty living room as she attempted to finish reading The Green Mile by Stephen King. It was the last thing she wanted to achieve before she went to bed and turned in for the night. After all, there was nothing else to do in this house now that Christina no longer lived there with her. In fact, despite being sad that the house was vacant practically 24/7, Margaret had a lot more free time to do whatever she wanted.

And that was just the problem.

Margaret had more free time, besides her job as the head librarian at the local public library located about ten minutes away.

And she was very lonely.

Ever since Christina had moved into her Manhattan apartment in August, everything always seemed eerily... silent.

The almost fifty-four year old woman (her birthday was on Christmas Eve) hated the quiet. She utterly despised it.

But she just had to get used to it.

When her now broken family had once been complete, the house was often filled by quite a bit of noise; she would often hear the sink water running as she and Christina washed their dishes and dried them off together, she would hear the clinking of forks against plates as she, Michael, and Christina ate dinner together at the kitchen table, she would overhear her now ex-husband's cheers from the living room whenever his favorite football team would score a touchdown, and she would hear little Christina's yells of happiness whenever she won a board game or hid well in a game of Hide & Seek.

Now those sounds didn't reverberate in her home anymore...

The quiet almost terrified her.

When Christina was twelve, Margaret had still been naive and believed that Michael still loved her, even after twenty years of marriage. After all, they had been college sweethearts (having met when they were sophomores in the same university) and, when they had gotten married back in 1973 fresh out of college, they were the happiest they had ever been together.

They had waited for a whole decade to have Christina as they settled into their quiet little farmhouse in Missouri and those ten years were the most blissful of their entire marriage.

That was until Michael joined the U.S. Army when Margaret was five months pregnant with their only child....

That meant that he hadn't been there when his daughter was born....