CHAPTER TWELVE

Three Months LaterNovember 28th, 2002Thanksgiving

Three Months Later
November 28th, 2002
Thanksgiving

Christina briefly adjusted her red dress that reached her shins before frantically arranging some of the food on the kitchen counter, feeling the need to hurry herself along but also to make the place look nice and proper for the dinner.

"Chris, honey, stop looking so nervous!" Margaret called over to her from the other side of the tiny kitchen. "It'll all look amazing!"

"Sorry, Mom, I just want it to look my way, like I always do," Christina replied as her face turned red from slight embarrassment.

"Well, this isn't our house, so how about we arrange the food the way Peter and Harry would like it?" Margaret argued playfully before glancing at another person in the room and then dropping her voice. "Or Aunt May, since she's the one in charge..." she added in a whisper, which made her daughter giggle.

"I can hear you both," Aunt May cut in with a smile as she jokingly shook her head, which made the two younger women laugh even harder. "And, in case you're wondering, just align them two by two, Christina. That way there's more room on the counter."

"Yes, Aunt May," Christina responded with a kind smile as she proceeded to listen to the older woman's suggestion.

The young woman and her mother had been invited by Aunt May to attend Thanksgiving at Harry's and Peter's new apartment in downtown Manhattan, to which both women agreed to. They were ecstatic to be spending the holiday with more people than usual, since it was usually just the two of them each Thanksgiving, especially with Michael no longer in the picture. So they were both happy to not feel as alone this year.

Christina was particularly happy since this was her opportunity to have a couple of days away from college, since it had become a hell of a lot tougher than she thought it would be recently. The fall semester started off strongly with her successfully moving into her apartment on the day she had planned (it was a decently-sized place on the second floor with two bedrooms – one for her and another for any guest that she welcomed – and two bathrooms) and she had settled in quite nicely. It was a five minute walk to campus, which wasn't anything too difficult, and she had already made a few friends on her floor that were also students.

She never really went to any parties unless she was promised that they wouldn't be anything too wild, mostly since she never really liked to embarrass herself on purpose and she had heard many horror stories of college parties. So, she had decided to stay smart and resort to focusing on studying for exams or writing essays.

Speaking of which, Christina's classes were a complete nightmare to handle but she somehow managed to do so. That was mostly due to her actually trying this time, unlike she did when she was in high school.