『3』

I stayed at the school for the next few nights. They hardly ever lock certain doors and I knew where the cameras were so I wouldn't get busted. I slept in the teacher's lounge on that nice couch that we student's weren't allowed to see.

I sold off the drugs to an old man. He made some long story about how he didn't usually do these things, but his pain from arthritis made it necessary since the doctors wouldn't give him a prescription. Dumbass didn't think to wear sleeves and hide the needle scars in his arms, though.

I ride my board all the way to the meetup spot. I was almost two hours early, but I couldn't risk actually getting left behind.

I didn't wait long, though. Because, Q was early, too.

"And here you are," he teases, pulling his car to the side of the curb.

"Nice ride," I compliment, picking my board up and standing.

He leans over, unlocks the passenger door, and nods his head for me to come in. I bite back a smile with all my might, pulling the door open. I put my board away in the backseat and buckle up- despite noticing Q didn't have his own seatbelt on.

"It's not a long drive," he informs.

I look over at him discreetly. He had a cigarette- the hand holding it resting on the arm rest on his door. His other hand was on the steering wheel as he drove. My heart skips a beat when he takes a drag from his cigarette, his muscles in his face tightening.

"Where is it, anyway?" I wonder, clutching my sleeves in my fists to calm my nerves.

"Just outside of Atlanta. Maybe an hour drive."

I nod, lowering into my seat. I find my hands releasing my clothes and playing with the strings to my hoodie.

I'd never been in a guy's car before. Let alone the fact that it's Q, the guy I've been crushing on ever since we met.

Sure, he was a bit older, but I was mature for my age. How many other fifteen year olds are smoking, drinking, and selling drugs? I didn't act the age that was on my papers. Plus, Q understood me. He trusted me. I was on his side as he was on mine. 

We'd come so far since our first time meeting.

When we first met , I was getting chased out of the police station by fucking Officer Leon- that dumbass that I swore was the fourth stooge. Q was outside waiting on one of his buddies to get out of holding. I had been so frazzled by Leon that I just needed a cigarette and asked Q. He didn't have any cigs, but he had a blunt. I acted cool and took it as if it wasn't the first time I was smoking.

It was like.. destiny.. ever since then.

He asked what I was in the station for and after we talked, he agreed to take me under his wing. We've been co-workers since. Now, though.. Now, I was sitting in the passenger seat of his car and we were getting out of town together.

I wanted to say something to break the silence. But, my throat felt clogged.

The silence is fine, I decide. Me and Q were on the same wavelength. We didn't need words.

I flinch when I feel a pain in my finger. I hurriedly unwrap the strong from my finger that had now turned purple from cutting off the circulation.

Okay, maybe silence was dangerous.

"Do you usually meet up this late at night?" I ask.

Q shrugs. "Depends. It's not really a passing decision we make. A lot of shit is riding on it going good."

He shuffles in his seat and passes me his cigarette, popping a thing of gum in his mouth. 

The cigarette burns a little- it was hardly smoked.

I feel dizzy headed as I take a drag from the stick. I try to not think about how the cigarette was just between his lips and now in mine. But, it's all that I could hear screaming in my head.

"You ever been outta King County?" he asks.

I almost choke. He was talking. He was instigating the conversation. Was this a dream? If it is, just let me die in my sleep and never leave this incredible world.

"Yeah.. I mean, I wasn't even born here. I was born in Korea."

"Ah, I think you mentioned that," he notes.

He remembered something I told him? This is the best day of my life.

"Me and my sister were both born in Busan. Then, we moved here when I was like.. four? Five?"

"You ever think you'll get deported for getting into shit?"

I laugh and feel my tummy do flips. "Nah.. My parents changed our citizenship. It was a shitty process but I hardly remember it."

"I was born here and I'd probably fail that shit."

Euphoric was the only word that came to my mind. I throw my head back against the seat, sure that I was floating. My chest swells  and I couldn't stop the grin on my face.

I understood now what people meant by enjoying my youth. 

The officers that left me off with warnings because they believed I was still young and figuring things out.

The teachers who reprimanded me and swore there was better ways to have fun and be free.

It was this. This was the better. This was the fun. This was where I was always meant to be.

 This was where I was always meant to be