『55』

"Carl!" I shout and toss him my keys. "Go to the ambulance and get the bag from the hatch behind the driver's seat!"

Carl takes out his gun and carries the keys in the other hand. Without a second's hesitation, he takes off running outside to the ambulance that was in the courtyard.

"Do you have everything you need in there?" Lori asks.

"I have a few bandages but no antibiotics.. I doubt oxy would work for this."

"What about a fire to cauterize the wound?" Glenn asks.

"The impact would send him into shock or worse. It wouldn't stop all the bleeding, either. We just have to keep treating it so it doesn't get infected and let his body do the healing."

Woojin's cries fill the cell block. 

"Shit!" I hiss under my breath.

"Go ahead," Carol takes over. "You've both taught me enough. I know what to do."

I stand up from beside the bed and pat Carol's shoulder as thanks as I run by. Beth set Woojin's carrier on the floor beside the door and I hurry to him. I pick him up and shush his cries.

"Hey, baby boy, I know," I relate to his sobs. "I know. But, mom really needs you to be strong for me right now, please?"

Carl runs in with my bag. I direct him to Carol and he takes off to the cell.

Just outside the door in the other room, more shouting comes from Daryl, T-Dog, and the prisoners.

"Hyejin," Rick calls my name as he approaches.

"What's your call, Ranger Rick?" I ask, bouncing Woojin on my hip. His cries had slowed down to a whimper and pout, he was only afraid of all the commotion.

"You keep things here in order. I'll check on the survivors," he leads.

I nod and accept the order. As he goes to walk away, he pats my shoulder. Before he exits the room, I grab his wrist.

"Wait," I say and hesitate the next words. "Can I have your cuffs?"

"Cuffs?" he asks, reaching with his free hand to his pocket.

"Just in case Hershel doesn't wake," I clarify.

A saddened beat passes through Rick's eyes. But, he knew that we couldn't afford the risk of him turning. He nods and takes the cuffs out, holding them out to me.

"Be careful," I tell him and take the cuffs with my empty hand.

"You, too," Rick says. He pats Woojin's head as he leaves to help Daryl and T-Dog. 

--

Rick and T-Dog returned about an hour later with food. I gave them the short and unchanging update on Hershel. He wasn't bleeding anymore.. but he wasn't waking up.

"Hyejin, a word?" Lori asks.

I look over from where I was knelt by Hershel's bed with Carol. 

"Kinda busy here," I state.

"Well, I need a word," she urges.

I look at Carol. She nods in approval. "I can handle this. Go ahead."

I stand up from the floor and walk to Lori. She pulls me to the wall under the windows.

"I thought we agreed to not push boundaries after the farm?" I ask.

There was an argument between Lori and I after Shane's disappearance. I blamed her for his leaving because she admitted that he had already told her about it. Then, I found out I was pregnant and we agreed to just ignore each other. We couldn't bury the hatchet and we couldn't keep the feud, so it was best to just not cross each other as much as possible.