『16』

I swing my feet back and forth in the chair and rest my elbows on the desk.

Rick was saying something until Shane burst through the door.

"Hyejin Yoo, how many fucking times do we have to keep doing this?" Shane snaps.

"Huh?" I ask.

"Time and time again.. I give you chance after chance and you-"

"Shane!" Rick calls. "Why are you yelling at Hyejin?"

"You said you brought her in for questioning."

Rick nods, though confused. "Because, Hyejin is a witness."

Shane blinks. He looks down at me. I quirk an eyebrow at him.

"You're not in trouble?" he clarifies.

"I'm so glad you think so highly of me, Shane. We got a great friendship," I scoff.

"A little girl was nearly kidnapped on the field trip today. Hyejin chased him down and got the kid back."

"And I kicked the guy in his pebble sized balls," I add.

"If he wasn't facing charges, you'd be facing an assault charge. We're letting you off on a warning for self defense," Rick reminds.

"I totally inverted his dick, though," I point.

Rick looks up at Shane. "The dirtbag had to go to medical because Hyejin kicked him so hard."

"So.. You're not in trouble?" Shane repeats.

"I save a snotty nose kid's life and you treat me like this? Where's my goddamn medal? At least a handshake with the mayor."

"She did a lot of good," Rick assures. "The other parent and teacher are in for questioning, too. They left their responsibilities on Hyejin to go smoke outside. They're facing possible charges of neglect."

Shane tilts his head back and forth like a confused puppy. Like he couldn't believe I was on the other side of the charges this time. I didn't blame him. I was surprised in myself, too.

"Shane," Rick calls. "She did good. Really good."

Shane puts his hand on my shoulder and takes a deep breath.

--

I hike my leg up to put my foot in the seat. I rest my arm on the door and then my head.

"Look, I uh.. I should apologize," Shane says, glancing to me as he drives.

I smile a little.

"No need. I fucked up. If I was in your position, I'd probably think the same thing if I got a call like that."

"Still.. I shouldn't have assumed. That wasn't fair to you."

"No, but considering my track record.." I trail off.

Shane taps his thumb on the wheel a couple times. "So.. Dinner? Where do you.. or.. do you want to cook?"

I watch the trees passing by the window in thought. But, something different strikes me.

"You and Mr. Jones keep asking me what I want to do with my life, right?" 

"Actually, I just asked what you wanted for dinner.."

I scoff, knocking my fist lightly into his shoulder. "I'm serious."

"Yeah. We both want you to have some type of plan. But, right now, school is the main priority."

I hum softly.

"Why? Is there something..?" 

"You save people. You, Ranger Rick, and Bitchass Bassett."

He scoffs at my name for Leon.

"I'm still not.. totally fucking with the whole cop thing, though. But, helping out that little girl felt.." I pause in thought. "Not bad. That douchebag was a total creep. I'm glad I was there to help her."

"Yeah?" he asks, smiling.

"I was thinking about.. maybe becoming like.." I shrug. "An EMT or some shit."

Shane laughs.

I squint, looking over to him. "I'm serious."

"I.. Look, Hyejin.. That's a good idea. A great one, even. But, you're.. how do I say this?" he pauses. "You think with your heart- not your head."

"Is that a compliment or insult?"

"Both."

"Gee, thanks, man." I roll my eyes.

"If you're serious-"

"I am."

"You'll have to show that you're serious." He gives me a pointed look. "It's not an easy job. You'll have to study, volunteer, and shit. You can't take it lightly if you're serious."

"Fine," I agree. "I'll show you I'm serious. Just like today."

"So, dinner?"

I roll my eyes playfully. Another thought hits me.

"Can we go somewhere else first?"

"Depends."

"I can't do something without a guardian's permission.. And when I was on that trip, all I could think about was having a cigarette."

"You're not smoking-"

"I have literally been smoking the entire time Ii've stayed with you."

"Goddammit, Hyejin."

I laugh. "I kinda want to stop."

Shane stays quiet, but he was still listening.

"Can I go get a tattoo? I need you there so you can give permission."

Shane sighs.

"Don't tell me you're one of those people. Come on, you have tattoos, man."

"No, it's just.. tattoos are expensive."

I couldn't help but laugh again.

"But, if this will be another step to show you're doing better.. Then, let's go."

"Now?" I ask, sitting upright excitedly.

"Right now. Better now before you change your mind."

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

ILOVETHEMSOMUCHYOUDONTUNDERSTAND