『53』

"What do you think?" Rick asks as those of us who were outside walk into the cell block.

"Home sweet home," Glenn jokes.

"For the time being," Rick assures.

"It's secure?" Lori asks.

"This cell block is," Rick answers.

"What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel wonders.

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria and infirmary. We need better rest and this'll give us time and comfort."

"We sleep in the cells?" Beth asks.

I make a face and Rick sighs at my hesitation.

"Found keys on some guards. Daryl has a set, too," Rick says.

"You sure we don't need eyes outside? I can stay in the guard tower," I offer.

"Hyejin, there are beds here," Rick reminds.

"In a cell," I play back. "Just cause you're the one cop I like doesn't mean I want to be locked up."

"You won't be locked up," Rick argues, soft and tender.

"Here," Daryl calls from the overhead. "You can pick the cell you want and keep that key on you."

With the hand not holding Woojin's carrier, I catch the keys he tosses down to me. 

"Proper day's rest and night's sleep," Rick urges. "You can do that for one night."

I loop my finger in the ring of the keys and look around the cells.

"I ain't sleepin' in no cage," Daryl denies. "I'll take the perch."

"You fucking hypocrite," I blame.

"When things are secured in the whole place, I'll move a mattress to the guard tower for you," Daryl promises. "But, Rick's right. Just for one night."

"Geez, my two Dads," I scoff under my breath and walk to a cell.

Once I have my cell picked out, I pluck the key off of the ring and give the rest back to Daryl. Even though I don't close the door, I still felt trapped. I hook the key on Jacqui's necklace and set to making sure Woojin was okay.

"Aigoo, baby boy," I coo as I take him out of the carrier. "Your poor butt is gonna have dents from being in that thing all the time, huh?"

(trans. aigoo/아이고 - gosh, wow, oh / term of expression)

Woojin stretches his arms and legs as I hold him and I feel bad for having to tote him around like that all the time.

"Not much more of that," I promise. "You see Rick Samchon got us a new home?"

(trans. samchon/삼촌 - uncle relative)

I point around the room that was on the lesser side of bloodied compared to others. Woojin follows and surveys the area.

"This is temporary, though. Daryl Samchon is gonna help Eomma fix that post up from last night," I inform. "

(trans. eomma/엄마 - mother; mom)

"But, maybe this place isn't temporary," I hum and sit on the bed. "Maybe this is your future room. Your first room for yourself.. what do you think?"

Woojin coos and gargles, playing with the key around my neck.

"We can get some spray paint and deck this room out. Maybe even some new blankets, a rug, some posters.. who knows?

I crawl back on the bed until my back hits the wall. I pull my knees up and let Woojin sit on my stomach. He puts his arms and legs wide, happy to be out of the carrier.

"To be honest, I haven't really thought past you being an infant. I've been too worried about tomorrow to worry about next year.. I can't even fathom you walking," I confess. "Aren't you supposed to stay this tiny forever?"

Woojin picks at the key around my neck once again.

"You'll get to be Carl Hyung's age.. my age.. Hershel's age," I note. "Eomma will make sure that it happens."

I grab Woojin's tiny hand in one of mine and try to lace our pinkies together, though his was so little. It was more like I hooked my pinky around most of his hand.

"Promise," I say.

Woojin smiles a gummy grin and I mirror it, bringing his hand to my mouth to kiss his knuckles.

--

Sticking to the formation wasn't hard because the walls felt tiny in our huddle. The flashlights in the darkness made me a little motion sick, though. Daryl puts a hand on the back of my shoulder, keeping our group tight.

Delving further into the prison was threatening and scary. We didn't know what to expect and it was a huge change compared to being outside where we could have the sunlight. The halls were pitch black and the flashlights looked like beams of lasers, hardly helping us see.

Everyone except Lori, Beth, Carol, Carl, and Woojin came. Carl was in charge. Lori was due any day to give birth. Carol was helping Carl keep things in check. Beth wasn't ready to fight this way just yet, she was still training.

When going through the cells, we were able to find some useful equipment like bulletproof vests and helmets. The shin guards, chest pad, and elbow pads I had on made me feel a lot more secure compared to what we've been dealing with.

Glenn spray paints on the wall as we go, marking the way back to the cell block.

I scan some of the dead bodies on the ground. I pat Rick's arm and motion to the body laying still.

"Legs," I whisper. "Something had a meal on his legs."

Rick looks over the body. The legs were mostly missing from the knee down- a clear indication that a walker had been eating at the corpse. Rick gives me a nod of approval for catching onto the sign.

As we turn a corner, Rick suddenly starts pushing me and Glenn back. "Back! Go back!"

Once it's clear that we're here, the walkers ahead start growling and charging at us. I fling my arm back to grab Hershel's arm and we break into a run back through the halls- the way we came. T-Dog follows close behind.

Rick finds a corner for us to duck into and I lean against the wall, breathing harshly as I try to stay quiet.

"Where's Glenn and Maggie?" Rick asks.

Fuck.

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

i had a dream about this book and it gave me the wildest idea ever yall ain't ready