『5』

Despite my history, I've never been arrested until now. 

The cuffs were ripping at the skin of my wrist. The three of us that got arrested (plus another four that they busted around the club) were separated between a few different cars and vans. I was stuck in the backseat of a cop car with Q and another guy that was busted outside of the drug deal.

I had caught a quick glance of one of the officer's badges. Linden County. We were just outside of King County.

I roll my neck in pain. This was far from being the entertaining ride in the back of Officer Walsh or Grimes' cars. This was serious. My fate was sealed. I'd officially fucked around and gotten myself in a situation that didn't have an end in sight.

What was I going to do? 

I am still underage. Could they take me to actual jail? Most people call for someone, right? Bail or whatever it was called? Who the hell was I going to call? Q was arrested right beside me. 

The only other person I had was my bitch aunt. She'd rather me rot in jail and take the life insurance money from my dad all for herself. 

Would mom pick up? She was still in Incheon. She was in another country dealing with far worse and important issues- she wouldn't leave to come get me out.

Fuck. What the hell am I supposed to do? I was all alone. I didn't have anyone else to call.

Q looked annoyed. I wanted to ask him what was going to happen. But, I didn't know the other guy with us and sure as hell didn't trust the pigs up front.

The cars eventually pull over into a station and we're escorted out. Still in cuffs, we're brought into the building and placed directly into a holding cell.

One by one, they allow us to put our backs to the bars and get unlocked from the cuffs.

The cops take information from each of us- ages and names to begin with. Then, they tell us to wait.

"Hey.." I whisper to Q.

"Don't tell 'em anything. We'll get outta this," Q whispers back. "Just give me a bit to think."

I sigh and plop down on the bench. My wrists start to sting again and I pull them up to my eyesight.

My wrists looked like my sister's before she went missing. The difference was that hers were self-inflicted.

I huff and untie Q's jacket to throw on over my hoodie as a double layer, pulling the sleeves all the way down to cover my wrists.

"Hyejin Yoo," one of the cops calls.

I roll my eyes in annoyance already. 

"Come on. We're gonna gather some more information."

I force myself to stand and drag myself to the door. The cop opens the cell and I follow him out. He points me to the seat and I once again drop my weight down in one single puff.

"Hyejin Yoo.." he names again, typing on the computer. "You got a driver's license on you."

"Can't drive," I answer, picking at my fingernails.

"ID?"

"If I was old enough, maybe."

"How old are you, then?"

"Fifteen."

The cop curses under his breath. He pushes away from the computer and wheels his chair to look across the desk at me. His eyes looked like Officer Grimes' now. Disappointed and tired.

"What number should I call for your guardian?"

I prop my elbows on the desk and rest my chin in the palm of my hand. "Don't have one."

"Address," he states, now giving up on questions.

I name off my address. He could do that all he wanted, it wasn't like we had a home phone.

"Sit there and be quiet," he demands.

I hold my sweater paw hands up in surrender and slump back in the uncomfortable chair.

He goes back to his computer and types a few things. Then, he picks up the phone and dials a number.

I rest my head back and stare up at the lights. They kind of reminded me of hospital lights. The kind that I had nightmares of after dad passed.

"Officer Grimes."

My head shoots up in alarm.

"Yes, this is Officer Holt with Linden County Sheriff's Department," he continues speaking into the phone.

"Hey!" I complain.

Officer Holt sends me a look but doesn't say anything to me.

"So sorry to bug you so late in the night, Officer Grimes. But, I do believe I have someone here that you would know more about than me."

I scoot my chair closer to the desk, eyes wide.

I could just barely hear a groggy Rick Grimes on the other side of the line. I hide my face in my hands. Anyone but Rick. God, anyone but Rick.

I tune out the conversation. This was pure hell.

I peer through the sleeves to look at the holding cell. But, they'd already taken Q out. I search the room for him and find him a few rows over, also being questioned.

"Someone will be here soon to gather you," Officer Holt tells me as he hangs up the phone.

Low fucking blow, man.

"Until they arrive, you can stay right there."

Honestly, I didn't want to move an inch. I felt so defeated.

Officer Holt returns to work- still on the computer. After an hour, he gets up to get himself a cup of coffee. When he returns, he has a bag of chips and a bottle of water that he sets in front of me.

I refuse to even look at it. I wanted a cigarette so bad, though.

The door opens.

A shadow looms over me and a hand rests on the desk. The person sighs.

I look up.

"Hyejin.." Shane sighs.

God fucking dammit.

 𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

 𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

did anyone catch the Brooklyn 99 reference