『41』

For the first time, I felt like I was able to catch my breath.

"Did he say how long?" I ask Rick.

Rick shakes his head. "Just depends. I didn't ask him to rush, though."

I sniffle and brush my hair back. We'd only been back from the run for an hour or so. Shane went to shower, I had just came out of there.

"I asked Doc if he needed help, but he said he was straight," I inform. "Maybe he just doesn't think an EMT should perform surgery."

"I think it's because you're attached," Rick assures. "He wouldn't let us stay in the room, either."

He kneels on the floor in front of me. I sniffle again and he rests his hands in my lap, holding my hands.

"I can't thank you enough," he says. "Really."

I shake my head. "You'd do the same for me."

"I would," he agrees. "Doesn't change that what you did was so.. so amazing."

I reach down to my bag and pull out his gun. I hold it in my lap. Rick smiles a bit.

"Did it help?" he wonders.

"Saved my ass," I try to joke. "Thank you."

Rick rubs his thumb on the back of my hand holding the gun.

"What did you mean? 'Vikings Promise'?" I ask and he scoffs a little.

"It's an old tale my grandfather used to tell me. Vikings would give their friends, family, and loved ones a gift.. Might range from their weapon, a jewelry piece, or even locks of hair. The condition was that if the person took it, they had to return safely to that person to give it back."

I nod as I listen intently.

"So, I gave it to you. And because you took it, you had to come back here and give it back. Safe. Alive," he finishes.

"Wow.. That's a first for me to fulfill a promise," I say, holding the gun out to him.

Rick takes the gun and slides it in the waistband of his jeans, though still kneeling in front of me.

"You've come a long, long way, Hyejin," Rick says. "I acknowledge that. And I'm beyond grateful."

"Thanks, Tom," I say with a gentle smile.

"Anytime, Jerry."

Rick stands up, still crouching over me. He places a hand on my shoulder and kisses the top of my head, gentle and caring.

My chest aches with the weight of Lori and Shane's secret. Rick is a good man. An honest man. How could they put him through this?

"I should thank Otis, too," Rick decides. "Even if he's the reason we're in all this."

"He's on the front porch," I help out. "I think he's not used to having close calls, so.. He's a bit overwhelmed."

As Rick leaves, my chest grows tighter and tighter.

My bottom lip trembles when the door closes.

Once Rick is out of my sight, my head bows forward and I cry softly.

It wasn't fair. Rick tries so hard. He does right by people, even if those people were shitty to him. Otis shot Carl and Rick was going to tell the same man that he was grateful Otis went on the run today.

As if matters couldn't get worse, Lori walks into the room.

My mood shifts from sadness to anger. I felt stupid for crying in front of her. She was part of the reason things were so shitty and I was suffering in silence.