『19』

I pull the truck to the side of the road and park it. Doctors and other EMTs rush out of the hospital and truck to assist in getting the man in the back of my vehicle into the hospital.

Once the coast is clear, I park the ambulance and head inside.

"Hyejin," Jamal greets. "You're still pulling shifts?"

"A little," I answer, putting the keys in the lockbox. "Any updates for me?"

"Hospital drama or Rick?"

"Surprise me."

"I totally think Sandy and John are hooking up."

"Called it."

"And John's ex, Lily is being relocated here."

"I love daytime soap operas."

"Rick hasn't shown any sign of waking up. But," he pauses, emphasis on 'but' when he sees my frown. "His vitals are really strong. He's breathing fine on his own and everything."

I check the time on my watch. It was nearing two in the morning. My shift ended at four.. But, things were slow.

"Page me if I'm needed," I request, placing a hand on Jamal's arm.

"Take all the time you need," he reassures.

I open and close my flip phone as I wait for the elevator to stop. My head rests tiredly on the wall and I watch the numbers climb. Once it reaches Rick's floor, I kick myself off the wall and drag through the halls.

I had grown so accustomed to the walk to Rick's room that I barely even paid attention to where I was until the door is closing behind me.

My instincts said to check his vitals and I do so before sitting down in the window sill. I rest my head against the wall and peer outside for a minute.

"Lori is sleeping better," I tell Rick. "And Carl wants to go back to school. I think he just wants a distraction, though."

Rick was as quiet as ever. But, I've honestly gotten used to the silence.

"I was also able to talk Lori into visiting her parents for a little. She just got back yesterday- she looks happier. I think it helped her out. Carl didn't want to go. So, he stayed with Shane and me. We totally did not stay up until eleven watching movies, don't worry. I'm more responsible than that, you know?"

I pick at my dull nails and bob my head to the beeping from the heart monitor.

"And if Carl says he didn't cheat during Monopoly- he's a liar. I saw him picking up my $500," I warn. "You're a cop raising a criminal, Rick."

I pull my knee to my chest and fiddle with the strings of my Converse. Funny enough, they were a Christmas present from Rick and Lori last year.

"Shane is trying to set me up on a blind date with that new guy in your unit. I think he just wants me to meet someone and get out of his house. He thinks it's time for me to 'spread my wings' but I think he's trying to shove me out the nest so he can have women over without being embarrassed."

"Shane is doing better.. He's back to work full-time. He keeps making jokes that the work is at least tripled since you've been here. The guys at the station keep looking to him for help, but I think he's still adjusting to a schedule where you're not in charge."

I haven't been by to talk to Rick like this in a while. Since I convinced Lori to take the trip and see her parents, I took extra shifts while Carl was at school so things weren't so.. quiet.

"I think we're all still adjusting to a day-to-day thing without you around," I admit. "And I don't think there's any way to actually adjust. I think we're just getting by and waiting for your slow ass to wake up from your Sleeping Beauty nap."

I go to say something else about but a nurse walks in.

"Afternoon, Hyejin," she greets.

"Hey, Kate. How are you today?" I ask nicely.

"Long day. How's the family?" she asks and steps over to check Rick's vitals.

"Carl and I have plans to go by the skate park tomorrow."

"Such a sweet boy," she comments, a hand on her chest.

"You say that until you live with the punk," I joke.

"Ah, has the main office gotten in touch with Lori yet?" she remembers.

"About?"

"There has been a larger number of in-patients lately. Since Rick's coma could be long-term, we're going to airlift him and a few others to Atlanta."

"Atlanta?" I repeat.

"With this outbreak, we're running low on space.. I thought they would've gotten in touch with you all sooner."

We stay in conversation for a bit until she gets all her needed data from Rick. Then, she leaves and I'm left in silence again.

Atlanta?

It was a while out. How would Lori get there? Where would she stay? And Carl?

I have a conspiracy that even vegetable patients can pick up on auras. I refused to let Rick see or feel my stress. He was already going through enough.

"You want to watch Boys Over Flowers?" I ask Rick and stand up to grab the remote. "You're totally going to flip your shit over what Jihu tells Jandi."

 𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

 𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

I love them your honor