『20』

"I'm sorry," Lori cries onto my shoulder.

"There's nothing to be sorry for," I promise.

Lori sniffles and sits up straight. I rub her back as she wipes at the flooded features of her face.

"I've been a burden to you and Shane. I keep asking you both for favors and errands and.. support- financially, emotionally.. just.. I'm a mess."

Sure I hadn't slept in days. Sure, my wallet was borderline empty. Sure, I was stressed and exhausted.

"I'd do anything for you and your family. You know that," I remind. "Shane and me, both. If you need or want anything- you know we'll do what we can."

She tries to say something, but it comes out as a sob. I tug her back into my arms and she wraps her arms around my shoulders and cries some more.

It was still strange to be so.. here.. for Lori. We didn't exactly get along when we first met. And I had a certain reputation with her after years of getting on the King County police force's nerves and dodging arrests.

Rick offered to let me move in with them when everything went down and Lori talked him out of it. 

I don't blame her. Not one bit.

I wouldn't trust someone like the person I used to be, either. 

Plus, Shane and I worked. If I lived with Rick and Lori, I don't think I would've grown up or tried to be better. I think their married-perfect family life would've just made me want to act out more. Then, with all of their fighting, it would've disheartened me and the same results would happen.

Shane reminded me of my dad. Shane says that I remind him of who he was growing up. We just click better.

But, that didn't stop the Grimes from becoming another family to me. They're like my aunt and uncle. I'd do anything for them. I'd fight heaven and hell just for Carl. He was an annoying little shit but he was my annoying little shit. 

"I'm so thankful that you're in our lives, Hyejin," Lori whispers through her sobs.

I hug her tighter. "Me, too."

--

"Where do you want to get dinner tonight, bud?" I ask Carl, peering at him through the rearview mirror.

Carl pokes at his Power Ranger toy and shrugs. "Anything's fine."

"Anywhere with chicken tenders?"

A smile creeps up on his face.

"Today's Thursday, no?" I check, stopping at a red light.

"Mhm," Carl hums.

"How about Saturday we go to the Rat Joint?"

"It's called Chuck-E-Cheese!" he cries.

"Isn't that what I said?"

Carl giggles and my chest feels lighter at the sound. 

Comforting Lori and Carl through Rick's health was a job and a half all on its own.

We'd just come back from the school. Carl wasn't in school anymore- instead being homeschooled while Rick recovered. The process was easy for the most part- all we had to do was pick up Carl's work for the week and return it. He didn't have to sit in class all day.

I start driving again as Carl sets his Power Ranger to the side.

"Will it be me and you?" he wonders. "For Chuck-E-Cheese?"

"Shane has to work. We can ask your mom when we get to the hospital, though."

We were on the way to visit Rick at the hospital. Lori still hadn't figured out how she was going to manage once Rick was brought to Atlanta, so I was trying to make sure Carl got as much time in with his dad now in case it was harder later.

"We don't have to.. She can just take a break."

My lips purse. "We should still ask her so she doesn't feel left out."

"Yeah.. I guess so."

I glance back at the mirror. He was frowning. He picks up the Red Ranger again and twists the arms to make him fly. 

When my eyes are back on the road, I gasp and slam on the brakes. A man was standing idly in the middle of the road.

"Fuck," I curse under my breath and turn to look at Carl. "You okay?"

Carl tugs at the seatbelt that had locked around his chest and nods. I sigh in relief and look back at the man.

My hand holds up in expectancy, but the man doesn't offer to move any.

"Seriously?" I question and honk the horn.

The man slowly turns to look at the car. He stumbles and I roll my eyes. I make a note to tell Shane about a drunk disturbance on the way here so one of the other officers pick this guy up.

I wave my hand for him to hurry up.

"Is he okay?" Carl asks.

"He's just drunk," I inform.

The man trips his way toward the car. Just as he reaches my window, I roll my eyes and drive past him.

"He looked hurt," Carl says, turning in his seat to watch out the window.

The man was stumbling after the car.

"Sit in your seat right," I scold. "Don't worry about it. Some people are just.. I don't know."

Carl situates himself back in his seat. "Do you have road rage like mom now? She doesn't like to drive because she says people get in her way."

"if I had road rage, I wouldn't drive an ambulance for a living," I remind.

"Wouldn't that just give you more problems? People hear the sirens but don't get out of the way. Dad complained about that all the time."

That was a fair point.

"People are just selfish sometimes, bud."

"Shellfish?" 

"Selfish."

"Shell-fish," he tries to sound out.

"Sel-fish," I help out.

"Shell-"

"Nope."

"Shawl-"

"Colder."

"She'll-"

"Freezing."

Carl giggles in delight and I shake my head at his antics.

 𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

SHE LOVES HER BABY BOY SO MUCH AM CRY