『59』

"Are y'all all right?" Rick shouts.

"We're fine," I answer.

"What the hell happened?"

"The gate was open," Beth says and I figure she saw more than I could.

"Lori, Carl- everyone else?"

"Maggie led Lori and Carl into C block," Hershel is next.

"T was bit and ran to the tombs with Carol," I add.

"Anyone else bit?"

"Not that I could see."

"Stay put!" he says, pointing at us.

I hold Woojin close as he, Daryl, and Glenn take down the remaining walkers in the area. Glenn comes running back from the gate that was open.

"Those chains didn't break on their own," Glenn says. "Someone took an axe or cutters to them."

Rick turns to look at someone. I follow, but regret it when my eyes meet Q's.

"You think they did it?" Glenn asks.

"Who else?" Rick says.

My chest felt tight. I couldn't breathe.

I know that Rick was trying his best to keep Q and I separated. And yet.. it just ook one single second for us to see each other in full.

I hardly even notice when an alarm starts blaring through the prison. I cup Woojin's head to avoid him losing the headphones and look up at the speaker by the cage.

"Kill it!" Rick shouts and points his gun at one of the speaks closest to the fence out.

I balance Woojin with one arm and point my gun at the speaker above us.

"Stand back! Tuck your heads!" I shout to Beth and Hershel.

Once my aim is locked on the speaker, I lean over Woojin to keep him sheltered from any debris that may flight toward him and shoot the speaker- killing the siren from that spot.

Rick storms forward with his gun pointed at Q's head. There were still other sirens around and I couldn't hear what they were talking about. Then, the group of men take off running into the prison.

--

Once the alarms stopped, I eased the crutch out of the way. I step out of the cage with my gun raised, peering around the area.

"Anything?" Hershel asks.

A door opens and I point my gun directly at it. Then, Rick, Glenn, Daryl, and the prisoners run outside.

"Rick," I sigh in relief. "Where's everyone?"

"T and Carol didn't make it," Rick says, voice tight.

"You saw?" I ask, lowering my gun.

"Found bodies. Carol's wrap," Daryl answers.

My face falls and my breath hitches in my throat. I try to see if Daryl was okay considering how close he was to Carol, but he turns around before I could meet his eyes.

"We thought maybe the others came out here," Glenn adds. "Maggie, Lori, Carl.."

"No sign," I deny.

"All right, we're going back in," Rick decides. "Daryl, Glenn, Hyejin, you-"

A door further away creaks as it opens. The same door that Maggie led Lori and Carl through just an hour prior.

The sight made my stomach fall. My heart felt like it freezer over.

"Oh, God," Beth whispers under her breath, turning Woojin around so he didn't see what was happening.

Carl looked void. He held a tight grip on his gun by his side.

Maggie was soaked in blood. Her eyes swollen from crying. She trembles and holds the newborn baby to her chest.

Rick drops his axe to the ground and stumbles toward Maggie. I follow behind, slow and careful.

"Where.. where is she?" Rick asks.

I look past Carl, waiting for Lori to emerge. Maybe they left her somewhere safe so they could get help.

My eyes lock on the baby. The blood- way too much for giving birth.

I knew that Lori had Carl by a c-section. It was more than likely that she'd have to have this baby the same way.

The blood. So much blood.

Rick storms over to Carl, though Maggie tried to stop him. She was too weak from crying to keep a grip on him.

My gun slides into my holster and I ease my way closer to Carl. He still looked so empty. I'd never seen him look this way before- no matter how angry or shut off he was.

Rick breaks within seconds. He sobs and his legs give out from underneath him, causing him to fall on the ground and cry.

I feel a tear slide down my cheek. I kneel in front of Carl, trying to take his hand. He holds the gun tighter.

"Carl," I whisper. "I.."

Carl sniffles and it's the first bit of emotion I see from him. He holds the gun even tighter.

I place my hand on the gun, trying to take it, but his grip was unyielding.

My heart, though frozen, begins to crack from pain.

"Honey, give me the gun," I urge.

Carl shakes his head once, slow and tight.

I close my eyes for a second and try to breathe. Rick was still crying and I try to block it out so I could focus on Carl.

"Carl-"

Carl slams his hand against my shoulder, pushing me.

My eyes widen in shock. He repeats the motion and a gentle sob slips from his mouth.

"Carl-"

"Where were you?" he cries, almost shouting.

My mouth opens, but I couldn't talk. I barely got a noise out before Carl leans over me, tears streaming down his face.

"You were supposed to help her have the baby!" he screams in my face, pushing me again. "Where were you!?"

My breathing was void. It was like I was only taking in water, unable to piece my surroundings together.

Carl coughs another cry and slams his hands against both of my shoulders in one final push. I could do nothing but take it. Then, he storms away into the prison.

When I look for Rick, he was also gone.

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

yall thought lori dying was just gonna be fin and games HA

pain angst

that's right the bestie duo of carl and hyejin are having bestie turmoil and rick is fuckin crazy