『18』

"Hyejin!" Carl sobs.

I kneel on the ground, opening my arms for him to run into my hold. "Hey, bud."

I stand, tugging Carl up with me. I rest his weight on my hip and walk over to Shane and Lori.

"You're back," Shane sighs in relief.

"I would've been here quicker but the flight got delayed. Something about travel not being permitted, but I was allowed through because of my visa. The plane was damn near empty."

"That's fine," Shane assures, patting my back.

I glance nervously to Lori. She sniffles in her tissue.

"Carl, honey, why don't you go finish up your school?" she asks.

Carl rubs the tears out of his eyes and nods. I kiss his forehead and place him on his feet. He drags over to the corner of the visiting room and pulls his backpack onto his lap when he sits on the floor.

"Hey.." I greet Lori.

She swallows.

"Are you uh.. Is there anything..?"

Lori takes a step forward and jerks me into a hug. I startle at the affection, but figure she needed it.

"Thank you for coming. Carl really needs you," she whispers in my ear.

"Yeah.. No problem," I awkwardly rub her back.

She finally steps away, squeezing my arm gently as a thank you.

"How'd it all go down?" I wonder.

"We got a call about a chase ensuing. There was only supposed to be two suspects.. But, there was a third man."

I lean against the wall and look over to Carl. "I got your text that the surgery went good."

"Yeah. He's recovering, but.. He is in a coma," Shane sighs and a few more tears slip from Lori's eyes.

"Induced?" I hope.

"No. No, it's just his body," Shane answers.

I cringe and Lori sniffles sadly.

--

It was hours of waiting around for any sign of life from Rick. But, I knew better. Rick wouldn't wake up for awhile. And I knew that Shane was only letting Lori keep the hope alive for the sake of keeping hope to begin with.

"Hey," I grab Shane's sleeve.

"Yeah?" he asks, stepping around the corner.

"I'm gonna take Carl home. He needs some rest and these chairs aren't gonna do it for him. I'll stop by their house and pack Rick and Lori a bag. I just need to know what Lori needs from her place."

"I'll check. You get Carl ready."

I turn to walk over to Carl, but Shane grabs my arm.

"Hey.. I uh.. I wanted to talk to you about something first.."

"Is everything all right?" I question.

Shane scratches the back of his head. "You don't have to do all this."

"All.. what?"

"I shouldn't have called you while you were out of the country. I'm sorry."

"I wasn't gonna let all of you go through this alone. Especially Carl."

"Yeah, but.. this is a family thing."

I tilt my head. "Am I suddenly not family?"

"It's not that. I'm just.. you've done a lot over the past few years. You've bettered your life. Maybe it's time you try that on your own."

"Are you kicking me out?"

"No. No, I just think it'd be best for you to become your own person."

I laugh. Shane sighs.

"No," I state with ease.

"Hye-"

"Rick is hurt. Because of that, Lori and Carl are hurt. And I can see that you're hurting- like you're blaming yourself."

He hangs his head in shame, I knew I was right.

"Besides, I thought we established that you can't get rid of me that quickly."

Shane runs a hand over his face, exhausted.

"Go see what Lori needs from the house. I'm gonna get Carl ready to go. Then, you get some rest in one of these God-awful chairs, all right?"

Shane nods and rubs my shoulder before making his way to Lori.

Carl was practically passed out already. I pick him up, thinking about how much easier it was when he was younger. It made me miss those times.

Balancing Carl with one arm, I pick up my purse and toss the strap around my head.

I get the rundown of necessities from Lori and Shane both. Shane said that he wouldn't let Lori be alone in all this. I knew it was because a piece of him blamed himself.

It was awful and messy trying to get myself, Carl, and our things to the car. He had brought his backpack straight from school and it was thrown around my shoulder- too small to fit regularly.

Lori let me take her car. I took the bus from the airport to a cafe down the street and ran the rest of the way to the hospital. Plus, she said I needed the keys to get into the house and Carl's booster seat was already there.

The drive to the Grimes house wasn't long.

I glance at the clock before I turn the car off. Four in the morning.

I return to pack mule mode and pick up the bags and kid. Carl squirms a bit.

"Hey, buddy, it's all good," I assure.

"Hye.. jin.." he mumbles, cuddling closer.

I kiss his temple before fighting to unlock the door.

I put Carl to bed and leave the door open so I could keep an eye on him while I packed the things Lori asked for.