『4』

Bodies flail in the air and strobe lights make everything disoriented.

"Hey!" Q shouts over the music.

Where was he? I look for his jacket or his tattoo. A man and woman nearly send me to the floor as they were laughing and grinding on each other to the beat of the music.

A hand grabs mine and Q pulls me roughly to his side.

"Stick close!" he shouts directly in my ear.

Despite the heat from the closed in club, I feel goosebumps all over my body when his nose brushes my temple and hair. His hand stays in mine and I force my wobbly knees to keep up with him as he shoves our way through the party.

A man screams something to his buddy, a slur as he holds some bottles of alcohol up like a prize. I cringe and my other hand grabs Q's arm, too. I was practically dangling on his arm like a charm.

Some people recognize him and greet him as we walk by. Anxiety creeps over me like an infection trying to take over and I keep my grip on Q's hand tight so I could keep down on earth.

The crowd gets tighter and Q laughs distantly. I gasp when he pulls his hand from mine, but nearly scream when he wraps the arm around my shoulders.

"Not much further," he informs- once again right in my ear and up close.

We pass directly under a strobe light and I almost trip from the dizziness. My arm wraps around Q's waist and he keeps me steady.

I find myself laughing along with Q.

This was insane.

A woman cheers in delight and bumps into my side roughly. I huddle close to Q, laughing in his chest as the woman twirls around with her hands in the air; hips shaking to the beat of the song.

We make it to another door off to the side of the music station and Q ushers me in first. As the door shuts, it was liKE night and day as the music sounds muffled and there were no people around.

I take a few breaths. It was hard to breathe out there with all the smells, close proximity, and lights. 

"You good?" Q asks.

"Yeah," I gasp, running a hand through my hair. I laugh again. 

"All right, we're just right down here, but.." 

"But?" I repeat.

He looks me up and down. He makes a face and pulls his jacket off. He steps close to me and wraps his arms around my waist. He ties the sleeves of his jacket around my waist twice. I stare at his lips that were so.. so close to my face. I hold my breath.

Q mutters something and steps away. I blink a few times to gather myself.

"What's wrong with this?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Little short," he points to my shorts. "Better safe than sorry."

He was looking out for me again. He walks further down the hall and my face scrunches in joy before I grab the ends of the sleeves like I'd held his hand earlier and chase after him.

Then, I realize.. better safe than sorry? What kind of people were we going to see exactly?

Doesn't matter. Q would have my back and take care of me and I'd do anything to help him.

Like he knew, he wraps his arm around me again. My heart speeds up and I bite my lip to stop the smile.

"Has there been any word from your sister?" Q wonders.

I fiddle with the fabric of the jacket. "No. I think she just.. gave up. I don't know, really."

"I'm sorry, babe."

I almost pass out.

My steps stay strong as I force them to work correctly. All it took was a business trip together? This was the best decision I ever made.

"These cracker asses are gonna be hella in your space. Just stick close to me and we'll do fine."

"Is there anything I need to do?"

"No. No, I'm just picking up the haul for the week and getting outta here."

I nod and accept the role of being quiet and watching. I frown a little when Q lets go of me to knock on the door. 

The door opens up and Q and I walk into a smoke-filled room.

"Hey, bud," one of the men greets. "You here for pickup?"

Q takes out an envelope of money and holds it in the air. "Yes, sir."

Another man takes the money from Q. I rock on my feet nervously but try to make it seem like I'm actually.. strong? Badass, maybe?

The man that looked to be the leader glances to another guy who takes a step closer to me.

"This is the first time you brought a friend with you," the guy close to me notes.

I purse my lips and ease closer to Q. God, white men had the nastiest yellow teeth by time they turned thirty-five. The sight made me question my own smoking habit.

"She's my uh.." Q quirks a smile. "My right hand."

I swoon once more as I look up at him. He winks and I blush.

"Ah, so your's, huh?"

Q sends the man a funny look, pulling me to his side. "Something like that."

"I was hoping you'd pay another way. Been a minute since that happened."

I look at the leader again. He tugs at his shirt and stands, eyes darting between Mr. Too-Close and Q.

"Well.." he speaks up.

Attention falls onto the leader.

He makes a fist and flexes his hand twice.

The leader and other man in the room suddenly jump with guns drawn.

A scream rips from my throat as Q and Too-Close dart for the door, the gross guy bumping me to the floor. They slam against the door and grapple the knob feverishly, but it doesn't even budge.

"On the ground, now!" the leader shouts.

"What, a fucking snitch?" Too-Close hisses.

The other man, Co-Leader, takes it upon himself and forces Too-Close to the ground. My eyes widen when he pulls out a set of handcuffs.

Cops. Leader and Co-Leader were cops. This must've been a sting operation. I'd only heard about these from the King County doofuses.

"Hands on your head," the leader snaps to Q.

Q curses under his breath and kneels, putting his hands behind his back. I gasp when the leader grabs my arm, twisting them behind my back and cuffing me, too. Then, he cuffs Q.

My fairytale night has taken a turn for the worst. 

It's fine, though. We'll find a way out of this. Q will get us out of this.

 Q will get us out of this