『11』

Shane and I went to some Chinese buffet. When we pulled into the parking lot, I teased him and reminded him I was Korea. He defended that the Chinese place had 'the best skewers in town'.

When we walked in, he said he'd find a table. I excused myself to the bathroom to wash up and he said he'd be waiting at the buffet.

I didn't have much time. There was a small window I was working with.

Once to the back of the restaurant, I race to the employees lounge.

Any time Shane and I went out to eat, I went to the bathroom just to build for this moment. He thought it was normal and I was simply training him to believe that.

Even though I teased him about coming here, this is exactly where I wanted to go. When the weekly papers came in the mail, I'd be sure and put the coupons and shit to this place on the fridge to make him see it. Again, I was placing seeds to get him to act the way I needed.

And he was playing right into it.

"Yah! Sungjin-oppa!"  I hiss.

Sungjin used to go to school with me. But, when I was held back, he got ahead and we lost touch.

The white people that owned the Chinese restaurant were too racist to care that their waiter was Korean. They just figured it was all the same, fucking idiots.

"Hyejin-ah?" he asks, wiping his hands on his apron. "Yah, don't speak informal to me. What are you doing?"

"I need to use your phone," I hurry.

"Is something wrong?"

"No. My ride is late and I'm fucking exhausted."

He nods and slides his phone out of his back pocket. I thank him and step down the hall. I send Sungjin a smile as I step into the bathroom. I pull Q's number out and punch numbers on the flip phone as quickly as I could.

"Come on.. Come on.. Pick up," I beg, pacing in the small area.

Pure anxiety was rushing through me. My legs were shaky as I walk back and forth. I was biting on my thumb nail.

"Hello?"

"Q!" I gasp. "It's Hyejin. Are you okay? Where are you?"

My pacing stops and I nearly melt to the floor on my shaky legs. I rest my back against the wall and try to not cry.

"I just got out of jail.. Where the hell are you? You haven't been by our meet up," he scolds.

"The fucking cops in Linden called Ranger Rick and he sent Dumbass Walsh after me. I'm staying in Walsh's house."

"The fuck?"

"I know, right!" I sigh, my hand smacking my thigh. "God, I've been trying to get a hold of you for over a month."

"One of the guys got me out on bail. I'm dodging.." he pauses. 

"What? Is something wrong?"

"No.. Just.." he pauses once more. "If you want to talk, we'll have to meet up."

I open my mouth but I realize what he meant before I say anything. 

He thought Shane was listening in. He didn't recognize the number. My heart breaks a little. Did he not trust me?

"It took me this long just to get your number and a phone. How.. How am I supposed to.." my voice breaks and I nearly cry.

"Just find a way."

I give in and ask him where. He lists off an address- a skate park on the other side of town. He gives a time and day and I agree.

I drag myself out of the bathroom and return Sungjin's phone. I pocket Q's number and force myself to walk over to Shane.

"They've got nine kinds of ice cram," is the firs thing Shane says.

"Do I have to keep reminding you that we're going to the gym in the morning?"

"Probably.. I think I 'm slacking off."

I huff and try to smile.

"You all right?" Shane asks, handing me a plate and we start down the first line.

"Yeah. The uh.. The bathroom smelled like shit."

"What a nice thing to say while we make our plates."

"Yeah, you're welcome."

Shane and I had our dinner and talked about school, therapy, and work. I forced myself to seem normal. But, I only had a week until I met up with Q for the first time since the arrest. I couldn't fuck this up.

 I couldn't fuck this up