『8』

My suitcase plops on the floor.

"Well, welcome home. Mi casa is-"

"This isn't my home," I state, cutting Shane off.

"Mi casa is.. your playground?" He steps into the kitchen. and his voice becomes distant as he mutters something about dirty dishes. "No.. Not playground.."

I step to the side of the door and take my shoes off. 

"You really have the exact house I thought you would," I tell him.

"Yeah? What's that?" he asks.

"Single dude in his thirties."

"Seriously?"

"Dude, your TV is on the floor."

Shane walks back through with two bottles of water. "Let's establish some rules.."

"Rules?"

"While you're under my roof, you're not allowed to call me 'dude'. It is Sir-"

I snort.

"Officer Walsh, or Shane."

"Fine," I huff. I take the bottle and sit on the couch. "Shane."

"No guys are allowed- neither day or night."

I roll my hand, hurrying him along.

"You will be going to school-"

"Oh, come on!"

"Lori and Rick have agreed to letting you carpool with them when they take Carl. to school. You are to be up, ready, and out of the door by six-thirty every morning so you don't keep them waiting."

My head rests on the back of the couch and I close my eyes.

"Every other day, we switch tasks. You are to do your own laundry. But, we will trade trash and dishes."

"What about dinner?" I wonder.

Shane pauses. "Well.. I work late nights.. So, I usually just eat out."

"Do I get an allowance?"

He gives one single, drawn out, loud laugh. "Yeah, right."

"Okay, so if you're at work, the fuck am I-"

"Another rule, no swearing."

"Dude-" 

"Strike one-"

"You fucking swear-"

"Strike two-"

I groan in annoyance. "What is a strike?"

Shane ignores my question. He didn't have any idea what to do for punishment.

"Starting this week, you will be meeting with a therapist-"

"A therapist?!"

"He works for CPS. He's doing it as a favor because he knows your story- he'll be defending you in court against your aunt. I want you to have three sessions a week with him or more."

I'm starting to think I'd rather share a hell-cell with Lori. Maybe Bitchass Bassett had a spare room.

"You want me to scrub your work boots with my toothbrush while I'm at it?"

"Don't get smart, Hyejin. If you respect me, I'll respect you. This is a give and get thing we got goin'. So, help me help you, all right?"

"Fine."

--

"And maybe when Shane is still at work, you can come hang out at my house! We can play video games and read comics and we can watch TV!" Carl continues to list off.