『58』

"How far are you gonna take this today, grandpa?" I ask with a smile.

"As far as my little leg can take me," Hershel answers. "How's miracle boy?"

I turn Woojin around to face Hershel on my lap. Woojin does his little gummy smile.

"There's the miracle," Hershel notes. "He's growing so fast."

"Yeah, it kinda feels unfair," I admit. "He's such a happy baby, though."

Hershel reaches out and pokes Woojin's cheek, making the baby giggle. My eyes widen at the sound.

"That was his first laugh," I inform.

Hershel's face lights up in the biggest smile I'd ever seen. "See? I've got the magic touch."

I pucker my bottom lip and hug Woojin's back tightly, wriggling him around. He giggles again, soft and light.

"He's certainly special," Hershel says.

I place my chin lightly on Woojin's shoulder. My chest still felt heavy from all that was going on, but I was grateful for the small moments of joy we'd been getting.

"I um.. Can I ask you something?" I wonder.

"Anything," Hershel promises, resting his hand on my knee.

With the hand not holding Woojin's tummy, I place my hand over Hershel's.

"There's been a lot going on and I.. I'm not sure how to cope. But, I think whatever spell you casted on my son worked.. could you pray for me?"

Hershel's smile is tender and sweet. He nods and turns his hand around to hold mine fully.

"Bow your head and close your eyes," he leads and I follow his command. "Dear Father, I come to You with the sweetest would You have created. I ask that You give her guidance and peace in her life. Show her the way that You have mapped out. I ask of You to give her release and comfort in the darkest days. Show her the way, Dear Lord."

--

Seeing Hershel crutch around just a day after being bit was the greatest thing I could imagine. I stood behind him in case he fell and Lori was beside him. Beth carried Woojin and watched her father with a smile.

"You ready to race, Hershel?" Carl asks.

"I tell you what.. Let's race when Woojin can walk," Hershel offers. "And I'll whip both you little boys in the asses."

"Alright, Speedy Gonzales, watch your step," I scoff.

"From what Rick told me, the two of you have a rematch coming up," Hershel adds.

"Oh, I'm gonna leave his old ass in the dust."

Lori chuckles. "All of you are just terrible. Can't you nurse your injuries before making bets? This isn't Vegas."

"How long does it take to heal after having a baby?" Carl wonders. "Woo is like.. four months old already."

"Man, don't even ask. All my shit is wrecked."

"Hyejin," Lori calls, lighthearted. "A woman having a baby is the hardest thing she can do, Carl."

"Ever?"

"You healed from your gunshot faster," I remind.

Carl pas his stomach. "I birthed a bullet baby."

"No!" Lori scolds. "Carl!"

Hershel laughs outwardly at the statement from Carl. Lori's face turns a lighter shade of red and Beth giggles.

"My baby is cuter," I tell Carl and stick my tongue out at him.