『29』

"Why didn't you do anything sooner?" I ask Shane as I wash off his knuckles.

"What?"

"Ed. He beats Carol? Sophia, too? What the hell is the point of you being a cop if you don't do something about it."

"I was hoping it would be solved."

"That's the thing with abusers.. it never gets solved," I inform. "They take and take.. but, they can never give you an ounce. He's not gonna stop."

"He better-"

"He's not," I argue. "He's gonna pout in his tent for a couple of weeks and mope around like he's the victim. Then, when he thinks he has his balls again, he'll just go right back to hurting them."

Shane sighs and runs his free hand over his mouth.

"You know that I can handle my own shit, too, right?" I wonder.

"I do."

"Then, why'd you come over?"

"'Cause I couldn't just sit back and do nothing. Plus.. that asshole had it coming. If not today, then some other time."

"You know you're supposed to work out instead of get in fights?" I recall from the past. "The good kind of pain."

"Ha-Ha," he says, deadpan. "Sometimes a son of a bitch just needs his teeth knocked down his throat."

I reach to my bag and pull out some gauze.

"Don't need 'em. Just let it air out," Shane denies, taking off his cap.

I shrug and put my supplies in my bag. I stand up and toss the pack over my shoulder, pausing when I see most of the group around the fire. Andrea and Amy asked to use Dale's fishing boat, they were some of the few missing. My eyes catch Lori who was watching Carl and Sophia play.

"What happened?" I ask Shane, leaning my back against the RV.

"Nothing."

"Something did. I saw," I argue.

Shane rubs his lips together. "We thought Rick was dead. Now, I think Lori wants me dead for what we did."

"Should I talk to her?"

"No. No, she's already dragging Carl in the middle of it. No need for you to get involved, too."

"She's.. what?" I ask, a sense of protectiveness creeping over my shoulders. "How?"

"Just not letting him around me, is all. She said that her family is off limits."

"That's bullshit. You are family."

"Not anymore."

The sad look in his eyes hurt my chest.

I exhale and shake my head. Lori's eyes meet mine for a split second before she looks away with a blank expression.

My nose scrunches at the sudden smell.

"Would you check that out!" Morales cheers. 

I look at Andrea and Amy who had fish on a string. Many fish, at that.

"Ah, just fish. I was thinking someone needed to wash the kitty," I comment, finally pulling a smile out of Shane.

"Gross," he says with a chuckle, elbowing me gently in the back of my leg.

"Hey, Dale," Andrea greets as the elder man walks over.

"Oh, shit," I mutter, seeing the grave look on Dale's face.

"I don't mean to alarm anyone.." Dale starts.

Shane sighs, smile gone again. He stands and pats me on the back.