20

"You are actually stupid? You know that?" I shove Dayton's shoulder

"At least I'm not scared to ask someone on a date." I point out to Dayton.

"Well maybe, just maybe because she rejected me last time." He throws his hands up in frustration.

"That was when she and Caden were messing around or whatever." He runs his hands through his hair.

Someone is mad.

We stroll into math class taking a seat in our assigned seats.

I pull out my paper and pencil and begin taking notes as soon as Mrs. Adams starts her lesson.

I like math, kinda. Not really, I guess I'm just good at it.

Linnea gestures her hand for me to lean toward her and I do instantly and whispers in my ear. "Can you help me with my math after school today"

I take back my last statement. I like math. A lot.

"Yeah, of course." I lean back into my chair. She smiles at me and I smile back.

She makes a funny face; I make one back.

I lightly kick Linnea's shoe under the table and she does it back even harder.

We continue little things like this for the rest of the lesson, how it used to be.

The clock hits 2 pm and students leap from their seats scurrying out the door. I look back to look for Linnea and see her already walking up to me.

She has pretty eyes. They're brown, a deep dark brown that when you look into them you get lost. And her hair, it's fairly long, goes down to just above her elbows. It's a bit wavy and dark brown but lighter than her eyes.

Her smile is a candle in a pitch-dark room. Anytime she smiles I smile, it's become a habit.

Pretty.

I open the door for her to pass through into the campus library and we walk over to an open table near the window.

It's already dark out as it's winter here in Minnesota. The street lights light up the world outside the window and snow falls slowly.

A lot of it.

That's going to be a pain to drive in tonight.

I grab my notes from my backpack, plopping them down onto the high-top table as she climbs into the chair.

"Okay so, what exactly about math don't you understand?" I look into her eyes.

"Um, how about any of it?" She laughs lightly.

Dimples.

I see a boy come up to the table out of nowhere from behind her, smiling at Linnea.

My smile fades instantly as I see him rest his hand on her shoulder.