32

"Warren

"Warren."

"Warren?"

"Warren!" I turn my head to see Linnea looking at me with a funny look on her face.

"Sorry, yes?"

"I asked if you were ready to go to the hospital." She puts her hand on my shoulder. I know so much bad stuff happened that night but I can't help but replay our conversation before the disaster.

I want to know what she was about to say, either that she loved me too or that I went too far. I worry it's the latter one, I want to bring it back up but I don't know how.

"Yeah, let's get going." I grab my keys off the table and open the door letting Linnea through before shutting it behind me.

Two weeks later we're all doing a bit better. Tyler finally woke up last week but we're all pretty shaken up, it's been better, just knowing he's okay makes us all feel better.

Linnea looks at the McDonalds down the road a little too intensely.

She turns her head to me and I look at her with a serious face, she slowly smiles and I hit my head back on the headrest taking a right turn into the McDonald's parking lot.

I open the window to order and Linnea leans over so the McDonald's worker can hear her.

I don't like ordering at places, not my favorite thing to do.

Neither of us do, so we switch off.

I pass the bag of food to Linnea and drive off, to the hospital, about 5 minutes from here.

Once I park and look over to the passenger seat to see Linnea with ketchup on the side of her face and all her food gone, I laugh a little at her. She's cute.

"What?" She says with a mouthful wiping her face with the back of her hand.

"Nothing." I smile at her getting out of the car and walking over to her side to open her door.

"Hey, girl!" Tyler's face lights up as Linnea walks into the room. "And Warren! What are you two love birds doing here on a school day?" Linnea and I look at each other quickly then back to Tyler.

"Well we-uh, thought that we could take the day off from school today. Naomi and Dayton visited yesterday, right?" I ask Tyler.

"Ugh don't even get me started on them."

Linnea and I shared a questioning glance at each other.

"Yes, they visited but were just looking into each other's eyes like they were the only ones in the world the whole time." He turns off the tv and sets the remote down.

We all laugh a little at that.

"So when do you get discharged?" Linnea sits down in the chair next to the hospital bed and I take a seat next to her.