42

A few months later

A few months later....

"Reid!" I look towards the voice and coach waves me over to him.

I wipe the sweat off my forehead with my jersey as I jog over to him.

"Yes, coach?" The first day of senior year is tomorrow and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

At the same time, I'm so happy to finally be done with college but on the other hand, all this will be over.

Basketball with this team, hanging out with the group.

Seeing Linnea nearly every day.

"Come talk in my office." He says in a stern tone. I gulp. Oh boy. I follow him to his office, I walk through the door and kind of just stand there as I don't know what he wants me to do.

"Take a seat son."

I sit down in the chair in front of his desk. "Do you know why I want to talk to you?"

"No," I say slowly.

"Well-" He leans forward resting his fists on the desk. "Seems you, Reid, have caught the eye of many National basketball leagues out there." My eyes just about pop out of my head.

Obviously, I love the sport but I never imagined I would make it to the NBA.

What if I get drafted by someone far from my friends and family? "Really?"

"Yes, your leadership skills as captain and of course your skill level, and determination, there's data to back it up." He picks up a pen from his desk as he reaches down into the filing cabinet pulling out a thin stack of papers held together by a paper clip.

"Here." He tosses the pile in front of me along with the pen.

"What are these for?" I flick through the pages.

"Invatations to the 2024 NBA draft." He says with a smile.

"What?" I almost choked on the air. "You said they were interested, not this interested."

"Yes, they are interested, as in they all want you on their team next season."

"So these are all just saying if I sign them I will attend the draft for a shot on their team?" I start to read through the papers.

"Precisely."

"When do I have to decide?" How am I supposed to tell everyone I might be getting drafted to a whole different state?

"May." Oh, that's not too bad.

"Okay, thank you, coach." I stand and shake his hand turning to leave.

"Reid." I turn around. "I'm proud of you, kid." I smile and nod at him opening the door and leaving the room.