Chapter Three

Dj (Daniel Jr)

Walking into the school gym, the smell of sweaty socks hits my nose and the warm, damped air smacks my skin.

"Hey Daniel, come here for a second" Coach Roberts waves me over.

He's sitting on the bleachers wearing a grey sweat suit and white new balances with a black Nike hat over his bald head..

"What's up coach?" I walk over to him.

He stands up.

"I just wanted to say go easy on the court today, we don't need you getting hurt son. You were one of our best players last year so you know your spot on the varsity team is already solidified" Coach pats my shoulder.

Letting me know that I already made the team and I'm not surprised because I was the only freshman on the varsity team last year, averaging eighteen points a game.

I nod "Thanks Coach"

"No problem, now go get changed, you got fifteen minutes" He checks the time on his cheap watch.

I nod, walking into the locker room.

The sound of talking and lil baby music fills my ears.

"What's up Dj" Voc speaks, motioning his head upwards, signaling a what's up to me.

Voc is a senior and one of the best basketball players at the school, he's also the one who threw that wild house party...

"What's up Voc" I reply motioning my head upwards, signaling a what's up back to him.

I spot Bj putting his shoes on and I walk towards him.

"You got in trouble last night?" Bj asks while standing up to give me a dap.

"Hell nah I didn't get in trouble. My pops said I ain't no fucking baby and Raheem deserved it" I tell Bj as I dap him up.

"Facts, I ain't get in trouble either" Bj tells me.

Unexpected banging on the lockers gets everyones attention.

"Ten more minutes then I need everyone out on the court!" Coach Roberts voice echos through the locker room.

.........

"I know I better make the Varsity team this year" Bj tells me as we walk out of the gym.

I instantly spot my dads Mercedes.

"You gone make it" I assure him while nodding.

A horn beeps getting our attention..

"There go my mom, I'll text you" Bj daps me up.

"Alright" I nod as he walks away.

I walk up to my dads car, getting in.

"How were tryouts?" My dad asks me.

"It went good, I ain't really have to try too hard because before tryouts even started Coach pulled me to the side and told me that my spot is guaranteed on the varsity team" I tell my dad causing him to smile.

"That's what's up and I'm gone be at every game" He tells me as we pull out of the schools parking lot.

I smile.

"What we doing today?" I ask him since we're spending the day together.

"Whatever you want to do. I really just wanted to spend some time with you and catch up" He answers.

I nod "Can we stop by the house first so I can change clothes?"

He nods "For sure" He tells me pronouncing for sure as fasho.